What does it mean for a charge to be uniformly distributed on a spherical shell?

In summary, surface current density, K, is defined as the product of surface charge density, σ, and velocity, v. To find the current for a uniformly charged spherical shell with radius R and constant angular velocity ω, one can use the formula dI = σRωdl, where dl represents the path taken. For this problem, dl is expressed as R dθ, but it is unclear why the value of R is used instead of R sin(θ). In this context, "uniformly" charged means that the charge is evenly distributed, such as having 10 wires wrapped around the upper hemisphere.
izzmach
Surface current density, K is defined as:
K = σv
where σ is surface charge density and v is velocity.

Given a uniformly charged spherical shell with radius R, spinning at constant angular velocity ω, find the current.

So, I start with this formula:
dI = K dl
dI = σ Rω dl
and I placed the spherical shell at cartesian coordinate with its center at origin and try to solve the question in spherical coordinate.

What path should I take to express dl? Professor explained, dl = R dθ. What I don't understand is, why do we have to take R? Why not R sin(θ)?

Physics news on Phys.org
izzmach said:
Surface current density, K is defined as:
K = σv
where σ is surface charge density and v is velocity.

Given a uniformly charged spherical shell with radius R, spinning at constant angular velocity ω, find the current.

So, I start with this formula:
dI = K dl
dI = σ Rω dl
and I placed the spherical shell at cartesian coordinate with its center at origin and try to solve the question in spherical coordinate.

What path should I take to express dl? Professor explained, dl = R dθ. What I don't understand is, why do we have to take R? Why not R sin(θ)?

What might "uniformly" charged mean in this case? Imagine you had 10 wires wrapped round the upper hemisphere. You could do that "uniformly" in two different ways.

1. What is surface current density?

Surface current density refers to the flow of electric current per unit area at the surface of a material. It is represented by the symbol J and is measured in amperes per square meter.

2. How is surface current density calculated?

To calculate surface current density, the total current passing through a surface is divided by the area of that surface. This can be expressed as J = I/A, where J is the surface current density, I is the current, and A is the surface area.

3. What factors affect surface current density?

The surface current density of a material is affected by the material's conductivity, the voltage applied, and the geometry and size of the material's surface. It is also affected by any external magnetic fields present.

4. What is the difference between surface current density and current density?

Surface current density specifically refers to the current flow at the surface of a material, while current density refers to the overall current flow in a given volume of material. Surface current density is a 2D measurement, while current density is a 3D measurement.

5. Why is surface current density important?

Surface current density is important because it allows us to understand the flow of electric current at the surface of a material, which can have significant effects on the performance and behavior of electronic devices. It is also a crucial factor in the design and analysis of electrical circuits and systems.