1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface current density problem

1. May 25, 2012 #1
    The surface current density, K, is defined as the the current through a unit width perpendicular to the flow. In particular:
    K = v[itex]\cdot[/itex]σ
    where σ is the surface charge density. Now I have a little trouble understanding this formula intuitively. Can someone describe in pictures how it is interpreted physically?
    Also as a side note: Why can you unambigously speak of the current through a ribbon of width dl parallel to the current - what if the current changes as we move parallel to it?

2. jcsd
  3. May 25, 2012 #2

jtbell

Staff: Mentor

One way to justify that formula is to consider the units: (A/m) = (m/s)(C/m2).

Or: Imagine a long rectangular sheet of charge with width w and uniform surface charge density σ. Draw an imaginary line at right angles across the width of the sheet. Set the sheet in motion with constant speed v while keeping the imaginary line stationary.

In a time interval Δt, a length vΔt of the sheet passes the imaginary line. The total charge contained in that length is ΔQ = (σ)(vΔt)(w). The current passing the imaginary line is I = ΔQ/Δt = σvw. The surface current density along the imaginary line is K = I/w = σv.

Last edited: May 25, 2012
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook