1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface Gravity of a Neutron Star

1. Nov 19, 2006 #1
    A neutron star has a mass five times that of Earth and a 10 KM radius. Find the distance from this star's surface a satellite must be at to stay in a circular orbit if the satellite is moving at 50000 km/min.

First, I changed the 10 KM to meters and found the mass of this neutron star. Then, I changed the 50000 km/min to 833,333 m/s (tell me if this is incorrect). Next, I used the equation v = squareroot GM/R and plugged in (6.67 x 10 to the negative eleventh power) for G and (10 to the 31st power) for M and the radius is unknown. I came up with -10,000 m, which is obviously incorrect. Am i doing something wrong?

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 19, 2006 #2

DaveC426913

Gold Member

How did you get 10^31 for M? And what units? g or kg? What unit does the formula require?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?