1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integral in Spherical Polar

1. Mar 2, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Attached.

2. Relevant equations

cd7a7dabc3ed67196d363a39be943c45.png
    01218db9301c3665178919b26218da4b.png
    d9beecbcecba1ca83ecd273a33330938.png
    1f5ce7228bc649add6fcd17c1ddbf174.png

3. The attempt at a solution
    Hi,

Ok, so for the first part of this question it asks to evaluate the integral of the dot product between A and dS. The magnitude of dS is as shown above, and it is in the radial direction in spherical polar coordinates. Here, A(r) is the unit vector of θ in spherical polar. And since we know that the polar direction θ and the radial direction are orthogonal to each, their dot product must = 0. Therefore, the integral of A.dS must be equal to zero. Is this line of thought correct?

Thanks.

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 2, 2015 #2

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

No, the direction of [itex]d\underline{S}[/itex] is not "in the radial direction". The "vector differential of area" is [itex](a^2cos(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{i}+ a^2sin(\theta)sin^2(\phi)\vec{j}+ a^2 sin(\phi)cos(\phi)\vec{k})d\theta d\phi[/itex]. That is not a multiple of a radial vector which would be of the form [itex]r cos(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{i}+ r sin(\theta)sin(\phi)\vec{j}+ r cos(\phi)\vec{k}[/itex].

4. Mar 3, 2015 #3
    Thanks for the reply. But if I'm thinking about this right, couldn't you factor out of that vector the scalar a^2*sin(α) which would leave the unit vector in the radial direction? Please see the attached.

Attached Files:

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted