Surface Integral: Calculating Over a Square XY-Plane

In summary: The dot product is just a shorthand for the integral. It just means that the dot product is the area of the vector multiplied by the length of the vector.You vectorize an area by multiplying it by the length of the vector. The dot product is just a shorthand for the area of the vector multiplied by the length of the vector.
aaaa202

Homework Statement

Calculate the surface integral of the vector field a=xy i + (x+1) j + xz^2 k over a square in the xy-plane with length 1 and whose unit normal points in the positive direction of the z axis.

Homework Equations

This is the problem. There are many different types of surface integrals. Though since it's a vector field I should assume that they're asking for an integral of the type I = ∫ a [itex]\cdot[/itex] dS, where a and dS are both vectors. Is that right?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure, as my book's examples on these are quite poor. I think what I want to find is a general expression for a small vector area in the square. Is that just given by dydx times the unit normal to the xy-plane?

Please help :)

Physics news on Phys.org
aaaa202 said:

Homework Statement

Calculate the surface integral of the vector field a=xy i + (x+1) j + xz^2 k over a square in the xy-plane with length 1 and whose unit normal points in the positive direction of the z axis.

Homework Equations

This is the problem. There are many different types of surface integrals. Though since it's a vector field I should assume that they're asking for an integral of the type I = ∫ a [itex]\cdot[/itex] dS, where a and dS are both vectors. Is that right?

The Attempt at a Solution

I'm really not sure, as my book's examples on these are quite poor. I think what I want to find is a general expression for a small vector area in the square. Is that just given by dydx times the unit normal to the xy-plane?

Please help :)

Yes, you have figured out how to set the problem up. Now keep going.

Last edited:
Okay great :)

But can you perhaps explain geometrically what this surface integral will yield?

And what justifies viewing an area element af something times the normal vector to it?

aaaa202 said:
Okay great :)

But can you perhaps explain geometrically what this surface integral will yield?

And what justifies viewing an area element af something times the normal vector to it?

It yields what's called the 'flux' of the vector field through the surface. It's useful for example in electrostatics. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flux But I wouldn't worry too much about what it means. Just try and compute it. It's REALLY easy in this case.

hmm okay, I'm still not sure if I'm doing the write thing.
The surface vector element is dS = dxdy k
So the integral over the surface becomes:

Surfaceintegral(xz2dxdy) = ∫∫xz2dxdy
But I don't get a numer just something dependent on z, so either my approach is wrong or I fail at elimination z.

Do you realize that this is a really "trivial" problem? The integral is in the xy-plane. What is the z coordinate of every point in the xy-plane?

(That's also why they can say " a square in the xy-plane with length 1" without having to specify which square!)

hmm okay I thought about that, but not knowing the geometric interpretation I wasn't quite sure if I could just put z=0...

And as I'm not in general sure WHY my approach is even correct, I would not say it's trivial for me (maybe for you). Why is it that you put an define a vector area element in the direction as the normal unit?

But then with your comment I'd just get the area of the square as the value of my integral.. Shouldn't I get something else?

aaaa202 said:
But then with your comment I'd just get the area of the square as the value of my integral.. Shouldn't I get something else?

No, that's not what you get. What value are you integrating over the square?

Surfaceintegral(xz2dxdy) = ∫∫xz2dxdy

setting z=0 gives xy and setting x=y=1 gives 1..

setting z=0 gives xy and setting x=y=1 gives 1..

Setting z=0 certainly does not give xy! What is 0*x*y equal to?

zero.. ahh yes, I was too fast. But then you get an integration constant and then something with either x or y depending on which integration you did first.

Edit: Nah wait, integral of zero must always be zero (never thought of that). So everything is zero. Yes okay. But I still don't really understand what is happening. Why do you "vectorize" an area and what does the dot product represent?

Last edited:
And you do not have an "integration constant" because this is a definite integral.

1. What is a surface integral?

A surface integral is a mathematical concept used to calculate the area or volume of a three-dimensional shape. It involves integrating a function over a two-dimensional surface, such as a square XY-plane, to find the total amount of the function within that surface.

2. How is a surface integral different from a regular integral?

A regular integral involves finding the area under a curve on a one-dimensional axis, while a surface integral involves finding the area or volume within a two-dimensional surface. Additionally, a surface integral may also involve taking into account the direction of the surface, known as the orientation.

3. What is the formula for calculating a surface integral over a square XY-plane?

The formula for calculating a surface integral over a square XY-plane involves taking the double integral of the function over the surface, multiplied by the surface's orientation vector. In simpler terms, it is the sum of the function values at each point on the surface, multiplied by the area of each small section of the surface.

4. What are some real-world applications of surface integrals?

Surface integrals are commonly used in physics and engineering to calculate the flux, or flow, of a vector field through a surface. They are also used in computer graphics to calculate the amount of light that is reflected off a surface, and in fluid dynamics to calculate the total pressure force exerted on a surface.

5. Are there any techniques for simplifying the calculation of surface integrals?

Yes, there are several techniques for simplifying the calculation of surface integrals. One method is to use parametrization, which involves representing the surface as a set of equations in terms of two variables. Another technique is to use symmetry, when applicable, to reduce the number of variables and integrals needed to calculate the surface integral.