1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface integral

1. Dec 30, 2016 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Is the solution provided by the author wrong ? Stokes theorem is used to calculate the line integral of vector filed , am i right ?

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution
    To find the surface integral of many different planes in a solid , we need to use Gauss theorem , right ?

Attached Files:

• 492.JPG
      492.JPG
      File size:
      19 KB
      Views:
    • 490.JPG
      490.JPG
      File size:
      28.3 KB
      Views:
    • 491.JPG
      491.JPG
      File size:
      30.6 KB
      Views:
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 30, 2016 #2

Charles Link

Homework Helper

The author doesn't seem to specify what surface integral he is asking for. If he wants ## \int F \cdot dA ##, Gauss' law works for the surface enclosing a volume, and wouldn't apply here. If he wants you to evaluate ## \int \nabla \times F \cdot \, dA ##, you can use Stokes theorem and alternatively compute the line integral of ## \oint F \cdot \, ds ## around the perimeter. ## \\ ## editing... If the author wants you to evaluate ## \int F \cdot \, dA ##, there are no shortcuts that I know of=neither Gauss' law or Stokes theorem will apply. You simply need to crank it out the long way... And none of us are infallible=it is my guess the author made a mistake.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  4. Jan 1, 2017 #3
    Do you mean that the author maybe mean find the line integral and not find surface integral in this question ?

5. Jan 1, 2017 #4

LCKurtz

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Frequently in such problems the author wants you to demonstrate Stokes' theorem by working it both ways. It's a learning thing.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted