Surface of recolution of a curve integrating wrong :-(

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the area of a surface of revolution generated by the curve y=sqrt(x²+1) revolved around the x-axis. The suggested formula for finding the area is A=2π ∫ f(x) * sqrt[1+f'(x)] dx. The conversation also includes a question about the integration process and suggests switching to hyperbolic coordinates. However, the student states they have not learned about hyperbolic coordinates yet and another person provides a possible solution using substitution.
darkwolfe5

Homework Statement

the curve y= sqrt(x² +1) , 0 ≤ x ≤ sqrt(2) is revolved about the x-axis to generate a surface. Find the area of the surface of revolution.

Homework Equations

A = 2π ∫ f (x) * sqrt[1+f ' (x)] dx

The Attempt at a Solution

I've gotten down to 2π ∫ sqrt(2x²+1) dx
and I know that's correct thus far (confirmed using my calculator)
calc says: 13.14153998

but once I integrate, I get 2π[ ⅔ * (2x²+1)^(3/2) with the limits from 0 to sqrt(2)
Once I substitute the sqrt(2) I get something way out of the park.
calc says: 46.832...

Did I do my integration right?

Physics news on Phys.org
You can check if it's right by differentiating. After you have checked and seen that it's not, the easiest way forward is to switch variables to polar coordinates.

clamtrox said:
You can check if it's right by differentiating. After you have checked and seen that it's not, the easiest way forward is to switch variables to polar coordinates.

We haven't gotten to polar coordinates yet...that's what we're supposed to start on Monday :-(

Oops, I mean hyperbolic coordinates (that probably doesn't help, but still :)

well I've had someone on another site tell me:

<quote>
∫ √( 2x² + 1 ) dx

= √2* ∫ √( x² + 0.5 ) dx

= √2* { (x/2)*√( x² + .5) + (0.5/2)*ln [ x + √( x² + 0.5) ] } between x = 0 and x = √2.
</quote>

But that doesn't seem to calculate right to me either.

1. What is the surface of revolution of a curve?

The surface of revolution of a curve is the three-dimensional shape created when a two-dimensional curve is rotated around an axis. This is commonly seen in objects such as cones, cylinders, and spheres.

2. How is the surface of revolution of a curve calculated?

The surface of revolution is calculated using integration, which involves breaking down the curve into infinitely small segments and calculating the area of each segment. The sum of these areas gives the total surface area of the curve.

3. What can cause errors in integrating the surface of revolution of a curve?

Errors in integrating the surface of revolution can be caused by using the wrong integration method, inaccurate measurements of the curve, or incorrect assumptions about the shape of the curve.

4. How can errors in integrating the surface of revolution be corrected?

To correct errors in integrating the surface of revolution, it is important to carefully check the integration method used and ensure accurate measurements of the curve are used. It may also be helpful to break the curve into smaller segments and integrate each segment separately.

5. Why is it important to accurately calculate the surface of revolution of a curve?

The accurate calculation of the surface of revolution is important in many fields, such as engineering, architecture, and physics. It allows for the precise determination of the surface area of objects, which is necessary for understanding their properties and behaviors.