Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Surface plasmon?

  1. Oct 6, 2008 #1
    surface plasmon??

    Can anyone explain to me what's the surface plasmon???
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 9, 2008 #2
    Re: surface plasmon??

    Its a collective oscillation of the electron density in a metal. It's most prominent in Au, Ag, and Cu, possibly due to the low imaginary part of the dielectric constant which means that the oscillations are more pronounced and less dampened.
  4. Oct 16, 2008 #3


    User Avatar
    Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

    Re: surface plasmon??

    What excalibur described is any plasmon - the vibrational eigenmode of the entire electron gas about the positive lattice. A surface plasmon is specifically that mode which propagates along the surface of a metal or the interface between two.
Share this great discussion with others via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook