How Can I Make the First Term Vanish in Plasmon Calculations?

• I
  • Thread starter hoalacanhdk
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Calculation
In summary, the first term in the expression for plasmon energy is often called the 'static' contribution. To make this term vanish, specific conditions must be considered, such as setting the wavevector to zero for systems with an isotropic dielectric constant, or adjusting parameters like the dielectric tensor or Fermi surface for systems with anisotropic dielectric constants. This first term represents the effect of the Coulomb interaction on the electrons, which is known as "screening" and is caused by repulsion between interacting electrons. To make this term vanish, the effect of screening on the Coulomb interaction must be taken into account by introducing a dielectric function. This allows for the calculation of plasmons without the first term.
hoalacanhdk
I'm learning Plasmons in Hartmut Haug, Stephan W. Koch - Quantum theory of the optical and electronic properties of semiconductors, but I don't know how to make the first term vanished (the highlighted sentence). Can you give me a guide?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    17 KB · Views: 387
Physics news on Phys.org
The first term in the expression for the plasmon energy is often referred to as the 'static' contribution because it does not depend on the dynamical properties of the system. To make this term vanish, you need to consider specific conditions that are appropriate for the system you are studying. For example, if you are studying a system with an isotropic dielectric constant (i.e. one that does not depend on the direction of the electric field), then you can set the wavevector of the plasmon to zero in order to make the first term vanish. If your system has an anisotropic dielectric constant (i.e. one that depends on the direction of the electric field), then you may need to look at other parameters such as the dielectric tensor or the Fermi surface in order to adjust the wavevector so that the first term vanishes.

The first term in the equation you are referring to describes the effect of the Coulomb interaction on the electrons in a semiconductor material. This effect is usually referred to as "screening" and is due to the fact that when electrons interact with each other, they are repelled by the electric field generated by the other electrons. This repulsion leads to a decrease in the magnitude of the electric field, which in turn reduces the energy associated with the Coulomb interaction.In order to make this first term vanish, you must consider the effect of the screening on the Coulomb interaction. This can be done by introducing a dielectric function which describes the reduction in electric field strength due to the screening. By solving the equations for the dielectric function together with the equations for the Coulomb interaction, it is possible to obtain an expression for the screened Coulomb interaction which does not contain the first term. Once this expression has been obtained, it can then be used to calculate the plasmons in the material.

1. What are plasmons?

Plasmons are collective oscillations of electrons in a material, typically at the interface between a metal and a dielectric or semiconductor material.

2. How are plasmons relevant to calculations?

Plasmons are important in calculations because they can affect the optical and electronic properties of a material, and their behavior can be manipulated for various applications such as sensing and energy conversion.

3. What is the role of calculation in studying plasmons?

Calculation plays a crucial role in studying plasmons as it allows for predicting their behavior and properties in different materials and structures. This can help in designing and optimizing plasmonic devices for specific applications.

4. What are some common methods used for calculating plasmons?

There are various methods used for calculating plasmons, including density functional theory (DFT), time-dependent DFT, and coupled electron-phonon calculations. Classical methods such as the Drude model and Mie theory are also commonly used.

5. What are some challenges in calculating plasmons?

One of the main challenges in calculating plasmons is accurately describing the complex interactions between electrons and the surrounding materials. This requires advanced theoretical models and computational techniques. Another challenge is the efficient calculation of plasmons in large systems, which can be computationally demanding.