Surface plasmon dependence on surface area to volume ratio

In summary, the conversation discussed surface enhanced Raman scattering and its sensitivity to the surface to volume ratio of a structure, particularly in relation to plasmons and surface plasmon polaritons. The speaker was looking for a more rigorous explanation and asked for suggestions on where to find more information. They also mentioned delving back into Ashcroft for further research.
IxRxPhysicist
Hey everyone,
I was recently reading a paper on surface enhanced Raman scattering, and it mentioned that plasmons (and for that matter surface plasmon polaritons-where my interest lies) are sensitive to the surface to volume ratio of the structure. I can begin to understand intuitively with skin depth and all but I would like a more rigorous explanation. So if anyone has any idea of where to look/read that would be helpful. I'm about to delve back in Ashcroft to see if I can dig anything up.

Cheers,
IRPhysicist

Physics news on Phys.org
Thanks for the post! Sorry you aren't generating responses at the moment. Do you have any further information, come to any new conclusions or is it possible to reword the post?

1. How does the surface area to volume ratio affect surface plasmon resonance?

The surface area to volume ratio directly affects the intensity and wavelength of surface plasmon resonance. As the surface area to volume ratio increases, the intensity of the surface plasmon resonance also increases. Additionally, the wavelength of the surface plasmon resonance shifts to shorter wavelengths as the surface area to volume ratio increases.

2. What is the relationship between surface area to volume ratio and sensitivity of surface plasmon resonance?

The sensitivity of surface plasmon resonance is directly proportional to the surface area to volume ratio. This means that as the surface area to volume ratio increases, the sensitivity of surface plasmon resonance also increases. This makes it easier to detect changes in the local environment, such as the presence of biomolecules, on the surface.

3. How does the size of nanoparticles affect the surface area to volume ratio and surface plasmon resonance?

As the size of nanoparticles decreases, the surface area to volume ratio increases. This leads to a stronger and more sensitive surface plasmon resonance. However, there is an optimal size range for nanoparticles that produces the strongest surface plasmon resonance signal. If the nanoparticles are too small, they may not interact with the incident light effectively.

4. Can the surface area to volume ratio be controlled in surface plasmon resonance experiments?

Yes, the surface area to volume ratio can be controlled by varying the size and shape of the nanoparticles used in the experiment. Different synthesis methods can also produce nanoparticles with different surface area to volume ratios. Additionally, the distance between nanoparticles on the surface can also affect the surface area to volume ratio.

5. What are the applications of understanding surface plasmon dependence on surface area to volume ratio?

Understanding the relationship between surface plasmon resonance and surface area to volume ratio has many potential applications. It can be used in biosensing to detect and quantify biomolecules, in surface-enhanced spectroscopy for improved sensitivity, and in plasmonic catalysis for more efficient chemical reactions. Additionally, this knowledge can also aid in the design of more efficient plasmonic devices such as solar cells and sensors.