Calculating Time for a Swimmer to Cross a River Using Pythagorean Theorem

In summary, the conversation discusses finding the time required for a swimmer to complete a trip across a river and back to the original shore. The given information includes the width of the river, the flow rate of the river, and the swimmer's speed. The equation used to solve the problem involves the velocity of the swimmer and the river, as well as the distance traveled. After some confusion about the correct equation to use, it is determined that the correct answer is 461 seconds.
Nicole924

Homework Statement

A river is 400 feet wide and flows at 1 ft/s. A swimmer swims at 2 ft/second, straight across the river and back to where he started on the original shore. Find the time required to complete his trip.

To clarify, the turn around point is straight across the river.

(I have already been given the answer: 461 seconds)

Homework Equations

t=(2d/vs)*(1/sqrt (1-(vr/vs)^2)), where vs is the velocity of the swimmer (√3 from Pythagorean theorem) and vr is the velocity of the river (1), and d is distance (800ft). Sorry I couldn't figure out how to attach or embed an image (novice here).

The Attempt at a Solution

I used this equation and got 566 seconds, which is decidedly not 461 seconds. Where did I go wrong?

Thanks in advance guys!

Physics news on Phys.org
I'm not getting anything from your attached image, it just shows up as a broken image link. Can you embed it instead of linking to it?

Nicole924 said:

Homework Statement

A river is 400 feet wide and flows at 1 ft/s. A swimmer swims at 2 ft/second, straight across the river and back to where he started on the original shore. Find the time required to complete his trip.
It's not completely clear, but it seems the 2f/s is relative to the water, not to the land.
Nicole924 said:
where vs is the velocity of the swimmer (√3 from Pythagorean theorem)
In that equation, vs is the 2f/s speed.

Using vs= 2f/s, I got 327s. (??)

It would seem that, using the Pythagorean theorem, I would calculate that he's swimming √3 ft/s relative to the land, for a distance of 800ft total, so 800/√3= 461 seconds- which is what I'm looking for. However, our professor told us to use that relativity equation that I wrote out, and I can't seem to get the right answer with that. What am I doing wrong?

So I suspect that your professor's point is that the relativity equation is essentially the same as this "crossing the river against a current".
The formula you give is [itex]\frac{2d}{v_s}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1- \left(\frac{v_r}{v_s}\right)^2}}[/itex]

With d= 400, [itex]v_s= 2[/itex], and [itex]v_r= 1[/itex], that is [itex]\frac{800}{2}\frac{1}{\sqrt{1- \frac{1}{4}}}[/itex].

Work that out and you should see that you get the same thing.

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, I got the right answer with those numbers, but he swam 800ft total, not 400ft. Is the x2 in the equation to account for there-and-back?

Nicole924 said:
Using vs= 2f/s, I got 327s. (??)
Please post your working. I get 800/√3=461.
That equation uses Pythagoras' formula, so either use the equation or apply Pythagoras directly, not both.

1. How do I determine the best route for swimming across a river?

The best route for swimming across a river is affected by various factors such as the strength of the current, the depth of the water, and the distance of the river. It is important to assess these factors and choose a route that minimizes the effort required to cross the river.

2. Is it safe to swim across a river?

This depends on the conditions of the river and your swimming abilities. It is important to always assess the risks involved and make sure you are a confident swimmer before attempting to cross a river. Additionally, using safety equipment such as a life jacket can greatly increase your safety while swimming across a river.

3. How can I prepare myself physically for swimming across a river?

Swimming across a river can be physically demanding, so it is important to train and prepare your body for the task. This can include building endurance through regular swimming, practicing different strokes, and incorporating strength and core exercises into your routine.

4. What safety precautions should I take when swimming across a river?

Some safety precautions to take when swimming across a river include wearing a life jacket, having a spotter on shore, staying aware of your surroundings, and avoiding swimming in rough or dangerous conditions. It is also important to have a plan for what to do in case of an emergency.

5. Are there any techniques for swimming across a river?

Yes, there are certain techniques that can make swimming across a river easier and more efficient. These include using a strong kick to help fight against the current, using a side stroke or breaststroke to conserve energy, and taking breaks by floating on your back when needed. It is also important to stay focused and keep a steady pace while swimming across a river.