Question: What do the different electrical ratings on push button switches mean?

In summary, when looking for a replacement push button switch for a kitchen appliance, it is important to understand the electrical ratings listed. The 'T' rating indicates the switch can handle the initial current surge of an incandescent light bulb, while the 'L' rating indicates it can handle extra inrush current on AC only. The 'CA' rating is still unclear. The switch in question has two ratings, 3A and 6A, which may seem redundant but they refer to different voltage levels (125 VAC and 250 VAC, respectively). Further research may be needed to fully understand the 'CA' rating and its significance for this switch.
tljonesjl
While searching for a replacement push button switch for a kitchen appliance, I have run across electical ratings that I do not understand. I'd appreciate any explanations anyone is willing to give.

1. 3A-125V-T - I assume this means that the switch can support a current of 3A at 125 volts AC. What does the 'T' mean. I've read that there is a T rating that indicates that the switch can support the initial current surge that occurs when an incandescent light bulb (Tungsten filament) is turned on. This switch did come off of an appliance light switch. Is this the correct interpretation of the 'T' rating?

2. 6A 125 V L - What does the 'L' rating indicate?

3. 6A 125 V CA - What does the 'CA' rating indicate?

4. 3A 125 VAC / 6A 125 VAC - I'm assuming the first rating means the switch can support a 3 ampere current at 125 Volts AC. The second rating presumably indicates the switch can support a 6 ampere current at 125 volts AC. If the switch can support a 6A current, why bother to put the 3A rating on the switch. Isn't that a bit redundant and unecessary?

Thanks for the help

Engineering news on Phys.org
My understanding...

L means the switch can handle the extra inrush current of a tungsten lamp on AC only.

T means it can handle the extra ft inrush current of a tungsten lamp on AC or DC.

H means it's rated for resistive eg non-inductive loads.

I don't know what CA means.

Nor have I come across the example given (3A 125 VAC / 6A 125 VAC).

1. What is the purpose of switch electrical ratings?

The purpose of switch electrical ratings is to indicate the maximum amount of electrical current and voltage that a switch can safely handle without causing damage or malfunction.

2. How are switch electrical ratings determined?

Switch electrical ratings are determined through rigorous testing and certification processes. Factors such as the type of switch, its materials, and construction are taken into account to determine the maximum electrical load it can handle.

3. What is the difference between current rating and voltage rating?

Current rating refers to the maximum amount of electrical current that a switch can handle, while voltage rating indicates the highest voltage that can be safely applied to the switch without causing damage.

4. Can a switch handle different electrical ratings at the same time?

No, a switch is designed to handle a specific electrical rating and should not be used beyond its designated capacity. Attempting to use a switch beyond its ratings can result in damage to the switch and potential safety hazards.

5. Are switch electrical ratings standardized globally?

While there are some general standards for switch electrical ratings, they can vary depending on the country or region. It is important to check the specific ratings for a switch based on its intended use and location.