1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Switching programs in graduate school.

1. Dec 17, 2009 #1

-DB

I've recently finished applying to a few doctoral programs in chemistry for next fall, but I am now thinking that maybe I should have looked into chemical engineering instead. I'm just getting a feeling that chemical engineering would be a bit more interesting and that there might be more job opportunities. So, I know that the policies vary from university to university, but in general, how difficult would it be to switch programs after I start graduate school?

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 17, 2009 #2

Vanadium 50

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Education Advisor

You're right, policies vary. But in general, it is quite a bit more difficult than changing majors as an undergrad. As an undergrad, admissions are done by the university. In grad school, they are done by the department.

4. Dec 17, 2009 #3
    I agree. There may be a remote chance that as a chemistry student you can do your research under a professor or adjuct professor in Chem E... but you'll still have to do the chemistry coursework and comprehensive (or qualifying) exams, and get your degree in Chemistry, unless you reapply to the other program (and therefore delay your graduate studies a year).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook