Can Symbolic Logic Rules of Inference and Replacement Solve These Problems?

• Thread starter Penguin_shinobi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Logic
In summary: A ____________Assumption7. R ____________MP 5,68. A > R ____________SI 6,79. R ____________Assumption10. A ____________MT 1,911. A > R ____________SI 9,10In summary, to solve these problems, it is helpful to work backwards from the conclusion and use the given premises and valid inference rules to break down the problem into simpler steps. It is also important to pay attention to the logical order in which the steps are written and to use the correct notation and symbols.
Penguin_shinobi
I have a couple of homework problems that I can't get, hopefully one of you enlightened ones can help me.
I have to give proofs of these valid arguments using only the 8 rules of inference (M.P. etc.), and 10 replacement rules(D.N. etc.) :

(1)
1.(A>E)>C
2.C>~C
/A

(2)
1.(A&G)>H
2.A
3.(I>~H)&(A>G)
/G (Triple Bar, Biconditional) H

(3)
1.(A&K)>R
/A>R

">" is, "if then", "&" is the dot that resembles multiplication, but stands for the word "and". The numbers. "1., 2., 3.", are the premises. "/" is the conclusion
I need help...too math like for me
*symbolic Logic

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Welcome to PF.
Can you please explain your notation a little more?
What are the premises? Or is 1. the premise and 2. the conclusion for each part?
What are the letters (are they all formulas? or do some have special meanings?) What do the @ and / stand for?

I edited my first post to be more accurate

Maybe it helps if you first write out the proofs for yourself. For example, in number three:
1.(A&K)>R
/A>R

Need to prove A -> R. So you must suppose A and show R or suppose not R and show not A (and then use some rule to flip them around). The latter is more complicated, so let's try the first one. You want to prove R and you in fact have a premise that has R as its conclusion, #1. The condition of this premise is (A&R). By assumption you already have A, so you still need to show that K. But this is just assumption 2.

Now try to do the same for #1 and #2, and post it here so we can check if the problem is there or just in formally writing it down.

Now, let me inverse the argument to a logical order:
Suppose that A holds. By #2, K holds. So A and K hold, therefore R holds by #1. So assuming A, we proved R; therefore we can prove (without assumptions) that A implies R.

Now again, try to convert the reasoning to such a format for 1) and 2) yourself.

Finally, write this down in the correct formal way. You've basically done all the work already, just have to think which inference rules you need from one step to the next:
1. A (assumption)
2. (A&K) > R (premise 1)
3. K (premise 2)
4. A & K (&I 1, 3)
5. R (>E 2, 4)
6. A > R (>I 1, 5)
where the last line invalidates (marks, daggers, deactivates, whatever you want to call it) the assumption on line 1.

Finally, try to do this for 1) and 2) with the results you got above.

Please post as much as you can do, so we can try to pinpoint where the problem is in your case.

Last edited:
To solve these problems, I would recommend you to look at the conclusion first and work backwards from there.

(1)
1. (A > E) > C ____________Premise / Conclusion: A
2. C > ~C ____________Premise
3. ~C v ~C ____________CE 2
4. ~C ____________DUP 2
5. ~(A > E) ____________MT 1
6. ~(~A v E) ____________CE 5
7. A & ~E ____________DeM 6
8. A ____________Simp 7

(2)
1. (A & G) > H ____________Premise / Conclusion: G=H
2. A ____________Premise
3. (I > ~H) & (A > G) ____________Premise
4. A > (G > H) ____________Exp 1
5. G > H ____________MP 2,4
6. A > G ____________ Simp 3
7. G ____________MP 2,6
8. ~H v G ____________Add 7
9. H > G ____________CE 8
10. (G > H) & (H > G) ____________Conj 5,9
11. G=H ____________BE 10

(3)
1. (A & K) > R ____________Premise / Conclusion: A > R
2. K ____________Premise
3. (K & A) > R ____________Comm 1
4. K > (A > R) ____________Exp 3
5. A > R ____________MP 2,4

Related to Can Symbolic Logic Rules of Inference and Replacement Solve These Problems?

1. What is symbolic logic?

Symbolic logic, also known as mathematical logic, is a formal system of reasoning that uses symbols to represent logical relationships and arguments. It is used to analyze and evaluate the validity of arguments and to prove mathematical theorems.

2. What are the basic components of symbolic logic?

The basic components of symbolic logic are symbols, variables, connectives, and quantifiers. Symbols represent logical operators such as "and," "or," "not," and "if-then." Variables represent unknown values, while connectives combine symbols to form compound statements. Quantifiers indicate the scope of a statement, such as "for all" or "there exists."

3. How is symbolic logic used in science?

Symbolic logic is used in science to represent and analyze complex relationships and arguments. It is commonly used in fields such as mathematics, computer science, and philosophy to formalize and prove theories and hypotheses. It also provides a precise and unambiguous language for expressing ideas and theories.

4. What are the benefits of using symbolic logic?

The benefits of using symbolic logic include its ability to represent complex ideas and arguments in a precise and concise manner. It also allows for the analysis and evaluation of logical relationships and the identification of fallacies in arguments. Additionally, symbolic logic can be applied to various fields and provides a foundation for mathematical and scientific reasoning.

5. Are there any limitations to symbolic logic?

One limitation of symbolic logic is that it only deals with abstract symbols and does not take into account real-world complexities. It also relies on strict rules and definitions, which may not always accurately reflect human reasoning. Additionally, symbolic logic can become quite complex when dealing with large or highly abstract arguments.