Symbolic Linear algebra conept

In summary, sleventh was trying to solve a homework problem involving permittivity, subscripts, and the Kronecker delta equation, but was lost on how to do it. He was then helped by someone who explained the concept of isotropy and the use of a basis for the isotropic 4th order 3 space tensors. He also had trouble with proving the sum of the two epsilons to equal the Kronecker delta equation, but if he figures it out he will post the solution.
sleventh
Symbolic Linear algebra concept

Homework Statement

Evaluate the sum [tex]\Sigma[/tex]k ( [tex]\epsilon[/tex] ijk [tex]\epsilon[/tex] lmk (which contains three terms) by considering the result for all possible combinations of i,j,l,m, that is a) i=j b) i=l c) i=m d) j=l e)j=m f)l=m g) i[tex]\neq[/tex]l or m h) j[tex]\neq[/tex]l or m

show that

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]k ( [tex]\epsilon[/tex] ijk [tex]\epsilon[/tex] lmk = [tex]\delta[/tex] il [tex]\delta[/tex] jm - [tex]\delta[/tex] I am [tex]\delta[/tex] jl

and use this result to prove
A X (B X C)=(A [tex]\bullet[/tex] C)B-(A [tex]\bullet[/tex] B)C

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

i have been working on this problem for over three hours and have also gone to my professor which was of little help, the work I have done would most likely only serve to confuse. I would be EXTREMELY grateful to anyone who would be able to help me understand this problem. I understand for part a) the permittivity will always equal 0 for the first Levi-Civita symbol making the entire sum zero. For question like be I am lost as to how you could know which values would be +1 or -1 or 0 out of the 81 possible combinations. As for the proofs I am lost on the first and the second I am having a hard time manipulating the concept A X B = [tex]\Sigma[/tex] j, k [tex]\epsilon[/tex] ijk AjBk . Thank you very much to anyone who can shed the slightest of light.
yours truly
sleventh

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hi sleventh! :smile:

(have a sigma: ∑ and a delta: δ and an epsilon: ε and try using the X2 tag just above the Reply box :wink:)
sleventh said:
Evaluate the sum [tex]\Sigma[/tex]k ( [tex]\epsilon[/tex] ijk [tex]\epsilon[/tex] lmk (which contains three terms) by considering the result for all possible combinations of i,j,l,m, that is a) i=j b) i=l c) i=m d) j=l e)j=m f)l=m g) i[tex]\neq[/tex]l or m h) j[tex]\neq[/tex]l or m

show that

[tex]\Sigma[/tex]k ( [tex]\epsilon[/tex] ijk [tex]\epsilon[/tex] lmk = [tex]\delta[/tex] il [tex]\delta[/tex] jm - [tex]\delta[/tex] I am [tex]\delta[/tex] jl

and use this result to prove
A X (B X C)=(A [tex]\bullet[/tex] C)B-(A [tex]\bullet[/tex] B)C

I understand for part a) the permittivity will always equal 0 for the first Levi-Civita symbol making the entire sum zero. For question like be I am lost as to how you could know which values would be +1 or -1 or 0 out of the 81 possible combinations.

(what does permittivity have to do with it? :confused:)

No, there aren't 81 …

for example, for b) i = l, put i = l = 1, then there are only nine combinations for j and k, and most of them are zero!

Try again. :smile:
As for the proofs I am lost on the first and the second I am having a hard time manipulating the concept A X B = [tex]\Sigma[/tex] j, k [tex]\epsilon[/tex] ijk AjBk

(you mean (AxB)i = …)

Just look at the "matrix" definition of AxB (where ex ey and ez are the basis):
Code:
ex  ey  ez
Ax  Ay  Az
Bx  By  BZ
:wink:

thank you very much tiny tim, It was silly not to set the matrix into its components, i was only oriented to the summation equation. i still am lost on LaTeX Code: \\Sigma k ( LaTeX Code: \\epsilon ijk LaTeX Code: \\epsilon lmk = LaTeX Code: \\delta il LaTeX Code: \\delta jm - LaTeX Code: \\delta I am LaTeX Code: \\delta jl
thank you very much, you helped clear many things up.

hmm … your LaTeX looks a bit weird …

the PF version is very simple, it doesn't use \\, and for subscripts just type _{ijk}

(and use \cdot not \bullet)

For more details, see http://www.physics.udel.edu/~dubois/lshort2e/node61.html#SECTION008100000000000000000"

(but it's easier on the server if you use standard Unicode symbols and the X2 and X2 tags instead :wink:)

Last edited by a moderator:
tiny-tim said:
No, there aren't 81 …
If we have n=3 there are 81 as 3^4=81.
The fancy way to do this would be to observe
sum epsilon(ijk)epsilon(lmk)
is isotropic so can be expressed in the form
A*delta(ij)delta(lm)+B*delta(il)delta(jm)+C*delta(im)delta(jl)
since
{delta(ij)delta(lm),delta(il)delta(jm),delta(im)delta(jl)}
is a basis for the isotropic 4th order 3 spance tensors

The tedious method (though not that tedious) as you mentioned is to group 81 componets into groups based on there possible values -1,0,1.

thank you lurflurf, i have been unaware how to put the epsilon notation into delta form, however in retrospect it doesn't seem to have been to difficult. Because of this i did have to sort the 81 possibilities.
I am though lost on how to actually prove the sum of the two epsilons to equal the Kronecker delta equation. If i figure this out i will post the solution.
thanks to everyone who helped
sleventh

sleventh said:
I am though lost on how to actually prove the sum of the two epsilons to equal the Kronecker delta equation. If i figure this out i will post the solution.
thanks to everyone who helped
sleventh

If you take the equation as given, it suffices to show the two sides agree for each of the 81 components. Do you mean how to derive the expression?
from
sum epsilon(ijk)epsilon(lmk)=A*delta(ij)delta(lm)+B*delta(il)delta(jm)+C*delta( im)delta(jl)
consider for example
i=1,j=1,l=2,m=2
sum epsilon(11k)epsilon(22k)=A*delta(11)delta(22)+B*delta(12)delta(12)+C*delta( 12)delta(12)
0=A
i=1,j=2,l=1,m=2
sum epsilon(12k)epsilon(12k)=A*delta(12)delta(12)+B*delta(11)delta(22)+C*delta( 12)delta(12)
1=B
likewise for C

1. What is symbolic linear algebra?

Symbolic linear algebra is a branch of mathematics that deals with the study of vector spaces, linear transformations, and their associated algebraic structures using symbols and equations. It focuses on the manipulation of these symbols to solve problems and represent mathematical concepts.

2. How is symbolic linear algebra different from traditional linear algebra?

Traditional linear algebra uses numerical values to represent vectors and matrices, while symbolic linear algebra uses symbols and equations. This allows for more abstract and general solutions, making it useful for complex mathematical problems and computer algebra systems.

3. What are some applications of symbolic linear algebra?

Symbolic linear algebra has various applications in fields such as computer graphics, robotics, cryptography, and quantum mechanics. It is also used in computer algebra systems to solve equations, simplify expressions, and perform other symbolic computations.

4. What are some common operations in symbolic linear algebra?

Some common operations in symbolic linear algebra include addition, subtraction, multiplication, and division of vectors and matrices. Other operations include finding determinants, eigenvalues, and eigenvectors, as well as solving systems of linear equations and performing transformations.

5. Is knowledge of traditional linear algebra necessary for understanding symbolic linear algebra?

Yes, knowledge of traditional linear algebra is necessary for understanding symbolic linear algebra. A strong foundation in traditional linear algebra concepts, such as vector spaces, basis, and linear transformations, is crucial for understanding and applying symbolic linear algebra concepts.