Symbolizing Exact Sequences in LaTeX - Peter Seeks Help

In summary, Peter wishes to make a post regarding exact sequences and needs help in forming the common symbol of a mapping arrow with a symbol over it in Latex. He has previously posted about this and received help from members Opalg and Evgeny.Makorov. He apologizes for any confusion and thanks them again for their assistance. Another member, Sudharaka, marks this thread as SOLVED.
Math Amateur
Gold Member
MHB
I wish to make a post regarding exact sequences, but I need a way in Latex to form the common symbol of a mapping arrow with a symbol over it - for an example of the symbols I mean please see attached.

Since such symbols are littered through texts dealing with exact sequences, I really need to be able to form them.

I would appreciate help.

Peter

Physics news on Phys.org
Peter said:
I wish to make a post regarding exact sequences, but I need a way in Latex to form the common symbol of a mapping arrow with a symbol over it - for an example of the symbols I mean please see attached.

Since such symbols are littered through texts dealing with exact sequences, I really need to be able to form them.

I would appreciate help.

Peter

My apologies to MHB members ...

I thought I remembered posting this question before and have located a post by me in August 2013 that was answered by Opalg and Evgeny.Makorov.

See the post at http://mathhelpboards.com/latex-help-discussion-26/exact-sequences-functions-longright-arrows-6047.htmlMy thanks to these two members once againhttp://mathhelpboards.com/members/evgeny-makarov/!

Peter

Peter said:
My apologies to MHB members ...

I thought I remembered posting this question before and have located a post by me in August 2013 that was answered by Opalg and Evgeny.Makorov.

See the post at http://mathhelpboards.com/latex-help-discussion-26/exact-sequences-functions-longright-arrows-6047.htmlMy thanks to these two members once again!

Peter

Hi Peter, :)

Glad that you found your answer. I will mark this thread as SOLVED since it's already answered. :)

Sudharaka said:
Hi Peter, :)

Glad that you found your answer. I will mark this thread as SOLVED since it's already answered. :)
Thanks Sudharaka.

Peter

, thank you for reaching out for help with symbolizing exact sequences in LaTeX. This is a common challenge for many scientists and mathematicians working with technical texts.

In order to form the common symbol of a mapping arrow with a symbol over it in LaTeX, you can use the \xrightarrow command. This will create an arrow with a symbol above it, indicating the mapping between two elements. You can also customize the symbol above the arrow by using the \overset command, which allows you to place any symbol or text above the arrow.

I have attached a sample code for your reference:

\begin{equation}
A \xrightarrow{\sim} B
\end{equation}

This code will produce the following output:

A → B

Additionally, you can also use the \xleftarrow command to create an arrow with a symbol below it, indicating the inverse mapping.

I hope this helps you in your post about exact sequences. Best of luck with your research!

1. How do I symbolize exact sequences in LaTeX?

To symbolize exact sequences in LaTeX, you can use the \xymatrix command from the xypic package. This allows you to create commutative diagrams and represent exact sequences with arrows and symbols.

2. What are the benefits of using LaTeX for symbolizing exact sequences?

LaTeX is a powerful typesetting language that allows for precise and professional-looking mathematical notation. It also offers a wide range of symbols and customization options, making it ideal for symbolizing exact sequences.

3. Can you provide an example of symbolizing an exact sequence in LaTeX?

Sure! Here is an example of symbolizing the exact sequence A → B → C → D with arrows and symbols in LaTeX:

\xymatrix{A \ar[r] & B \ar[r] & C \ar[r] & D}

4. Is it possible to customize the symbols and arrows used in symbolizing exact sequences in LaTeX?

Yes, it is possible to customize the symbols and arrows used in LaTeX. You can use different packages, such as amsmath and mathtools, to access a wider range of symbols and to change the style of the arrows.

5. Are there any other useful tips for symbolizing exact sequences in LaTeX?

A helpful tip is to use the \ar@{->}[r] command to create a curved arrow instead of a straight one. This can be useful when symbolizing complex exact sequences. Additionally, making use of LaTeX's alignment and spacing commands, such as \quad and \align, can help to improve the overall appearance of your exact sequence.