Symmetric Difference if/then Proof

In summary, the conversation is discussing the statement "if X oplus Y = Y oplus X, then X = Y" and how to prove it using the symmetric difference associativity and other characteristics and identities. The conversation also clarifies that X and Y are sets and oplus refers to the symmetric difference or exclusive or operations. The person responding does not believe the statement is true as both operations are commutative. They ask for more information about the definition of oplus in order to provide a more accurate answer.
pingi
Hi there,

I'm trying to figure out proving the following:
if X oplus Y = Y oplus X then X = Y

In order to prove it, I need to use the symmetric difference associativity & other characteristics and identities.

Can you please give me a direction?
Please explain the answer as a teacher would, as my skills of proving this kind of arguments are poor.

Thanks! Pingi.

Physics news on Phys.org
What is oplus? Also what kind of things are X and Y (sets, logical variables, other things)?

Hi mathman,

Sorry for being unclear about my question and thanks for directing me!

1. X and Y are sets.
2. 'oplus' is an add symbol in circle - ⊕, used to describe the symmetric difference of the two sets (with the XOR operation).

Pingi.

If it is referring to the symmetric difference or to the exclusive or operations, then I actually don't believe the statement you are trying to prove is true. Both of these operations are commutative, which means that:

X "oplus" Y = Y "oplus" X

regardless of what X and Y are.

If "oplus" means something different, however, then please explain it in more depth.

Sure, I'd be happy to help you with this proof. First, let's define the symmetric difference operation, denoted by oplus, as the set of elements that are in either X or Y, but not both. In other words, if an element is in both X and Y, it is not part of the symmetric difference. So, X oplus Y can be written as (X ∪ Y) \ (X ∩ Y), where ∪ represents the union of sets and \ represents the set difference operation.

Now, let's assume that X oplus Y = Y oplus X. This means that the two sets have the same elements, since the symmetric difference is the same for both. In other words, (X ∪ Y) \ (X ∩ Y) = (Y ∪ X) \ (Y ∩ X).

Using the associative property of set union and intersection, we can rewrite this as (X \ Y) ∪ (Y \ X) = (Y \ X) ∪ (X \ Y). This shows that the elements in X that are not in Y are the same as the elements in Y that are not in X.

Now, let's assume that X ≠ Y. This means that there is at least one element in X that is not in Y and vice versa. So, (X \ Y) ∪ (Y \ X) ≠ ∅, where ∅ represents the empty set. However, since we have already established that (X \ Y) ∪ (Y \ X) = (Y \ X) ∪ (X \ Y), this would mean that (Y \ X) ∪ (X \ Y) ≠ ∅ as well. This is a contradiction, as the symmetric difference operation results in an empty set when the two sets have the same elements. Therefore, our assumption that X ≠ Y must be false, and thus X = Y.

In summary, we have shown that if X oplus Y = Y oplus X, then X = Y. This is because the elements in X that are not in Y are the same as the elements in Y that are not in X, and if X ≠ Y, there would be at least one element in the symmetric difference, which is not the case. Therefore, X must equal Y. I hope this explanation helps you understand the proof better. Keep practicing and you will improve your skills in proving arguments

Related to Symmetric Difference if/then Proof

1. What is a symmetric difference if/then proof?

A symmetric difference if/then proof is a type of mathematical proof used to show that two sets are equal. It involves breaking down the sets into smaller subsets and using logical statements (if/then) to show that each subset is equivalent, thus proving that the two sets are equal.

2. How is a symmetric difference if/then proof different from other types of proofs?

A symmetric difference if/then proof is different from other types of proofs because it specifically focuses on proving that two sets are equal. Other types of proofs may focus on different concepts, such as proving a statement or equation.

3. What are the steps involved in a symmetric difference if/then proof?

The steps involved in a symmetric difference if/then proof are: 1. Define the two sets to be proved equal. 2. Break down the sets into smaller subsets. 3. Use logical statements (if/then) to show that each subset is equivalent. 4. Combine the statements to show that the two sets are equal.

4. Can a symmetric difference if/then proof be used for any two sets?

Yes, a symmetric difference if/then proof can be used for any two sets. However, it is most commonly used for sets with elements that can be easily broken down into smaller subsets.

5. How is a symmetric difference if/then proof useful in scientific research?

A symmetric difference if/then proof is useful in scientific research because it allows for a systematic and logical way to prove that two sets are equal. This can be helpful in many fields of science, such as chemistry, physics, and biology, where proving the equality of sets may be necessary for further analysis and understanding of a phenomenon.