Symmetric Polynomials Involving Discriminant Poly

In summary, we are looking at the result of applying the transposition τ = (i, j) to the discriminant polynomial δ(r1,r2,...,rn) = ∏ (ri - rj) for i<j. When we apply τ, the only factors that change sign are those involving r(i) and r(j), where i < k < j. This results in the equation δ(rτ(1) , . . . ,rτ(n) ) = −δ(r1, . . . ,rn).
mathjam0990
Question: Let τ = (i, j) ∈ Sn with 1 ≤ i < j ≤ n. Prove: δ(rτ(1) , . . . ,rτ(n) ) = −δ(r1, . . . ,rn)

Note: Discriminant Polynomial δ(r1,r2,...,rn) = ∏ (ri - rj) for i<j

I am pretty confused on where to begin. Based on the note, does −δ(r1, . . . ,rn) then = (r1-r2)(r1-r2)·····(r1-rn)(r2-r3)(r2-r4)····(r2-rn)····(rn-1-rn) ?

Also, since τ = (i, j) is a transposition, does that suggest τ(1) = j (because i "goes to" j), then τ(2) = i (because i "goes to" j and j "goes to" i) ? Sorry I feel like I've got this all mixed up. Could anyone provide detailed insight please?

Thanks in advance!

Physics news on Phys.org
mathjam0990 said:
Question: Let τ = (i, j) ∈ Sn with 1 ≤ i < j ≤ n. Prove: δ(rτ(1) , . . . ,rτ(n) ) = −δ(r1, . . . ,rn)

Note: Discriminant Polynomial δ(r1,r2,...,rn) = ∏ (ri - rj) for i<j

I am pretty confused on where to begin. Based on the note, does −δ(r1, . . . ,rn) then = (r1-r2)(r1-r2)·····(r1-rn)(r2-r3)(r2-r4)····(r2-rn)····(rn-1-rn) ?

Also, since τ = (i, j) is a transposition, does that suggest τ(1) = j (because i "goes to" j), then τ(2) = i (because i "goes to" j and j "goes to" i) ? Sorry I feel like I've got this all mixed up. Could anyone provide detailed insight please?

Thanks in advance!

Let's just look at an example: take $n = 3$.

Then $\delta(x_1,x_2,x_3) = (x_1-x_2)(x_1-x_3)(x_2-x_3)$.

Suppose we examine the result of $\sigma = (1\ 2)$ applied to $\delta$, that is, we look at:

$(x_{\sigma(1)} - x_{\sigma(2)})(x_{\sigma(1)} - x_{\sigma(3)})(x_{\sigma(2)} - x_{\sigma(3)})$

We have:

$\sigma(1) = 2$
$\sigma(2) = 1$
$\sigma(3) = 3$, so we get:

$(x_2 - x_1)(x_2 - x_3)(x_1 - x_3) = (x_2 - x_1)(x_1 - x_3)(x_2 - x_3) = -\delta(x_1,x_2,x_3)$.

Note the only factor that changed sign in this example is $(x_1 - x_2)$. In general (for higher $n$) what will happen is that $(x_i - x_j)$ will change sign, factors that involve neither $x_i$ nor $x_j$ will remain the same, factors where $i,j < k$ and $k < i,j$ will keep the same sign, so the only factors that will change sign (besides ($x_i - x_j)$) are when $i < k < j$ where the two factors $(x_i - x_k),(x_k - x_j)$ will change sign together.

Deveno said:
$(x_2 - x_1)(x_2 - x_3)(x_1 - x_3) = (x_2 - x_1)(x_1 - x_3)(x_2 - x_3) = -\delta(x_1,x_2,x_3)$.

Note the only factor that changed sign in this example is $(x_1 - x_2)$. In general (for higher $n$) what will happen is that $(x_i - x_j)$ will change sign, factors that involve neither $x_i$ nor $x_j$ will remain the same, factors where $i,j < k$ and $k < i,j$ will keep the same sign, so the only factors that will change sign (besides ($x_i - x_j)$) are when $i < k < j$ where the two factors $(x_i - x_k),(x_k - x_j)$ will change sign together.

This is the part I wasn't seeing! Thanks a lot for breaking that down!

Related to Symmetric Polynomials Involving Discriminant Poly

1. What is a symmetric polynomial?

A symmetric polynomial is a type of polynomial where the order of the terms does not affect the value of the polynomial. This means that if you were to rearrange the terms of a symmetric polynomial, you would get the same polynomial.

2. What is a discriminant polynomial?

A discriminant polynomial is a polynomial that is used to determine the nature of the roots of a given polynomial equation. It is calculated using the coefficients of the polynomial and can help determine if the roots are real or complex.

3. What is the discriminant of a polynomial?

The discriminant of a polynomial is the value of the discriminant polynomial when all the coefficients of the polynomial are plugged in. It is used to determine the nature of the roots of the polynomial equation.

4. How do symmetric polynomials involving discriminant poly relate to symmetric functions?

Symmetric polynomials involving discriminant poly are a type of symmetric function, as they remain unchanged when the variables are permuted. Additionally, they can be expressed as a combination of elementary symmetric functions.

5. How are symmetric polynomials involving discriminant poly used in mathematics?

Symmetric polynomials involving discriminant poly have various applications in mathematics, including in algebraic geometry, number theory, and combinatorics. They are also used in solving polynomial equations and determining the nature of their roots.