1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

System of first order equations, matrix form, quick question

1. May 8, 2015 #1
    Question:

##h_{t}+vh_{x}+v_{x}h=0##
    ##v_{t}+gh_{x}+vv_{x}=0##

Write it in the form ##P_{t}+Q_{x}=0##, where ##P=(h,hv)^{T}##,
    where ##g## is a constant ##>0##, and ##v## and ##h## are functions of ##x## and ##t##.

Attempt:

I have ##Q=(vh,?)^{T}##, the first equation looks easy enough,

but I'm unsure on the second equation as the component of ##P## for this is giving ##hv_{t}+h_{t}v##, whereas I need to get to ##v_{t}+gh_{x}+vv_{x}##,

So I'm thinking maybe we need to take a time/x derivaitve of the 2nd equation or multiply it by something. So far multiplication by ##h## seems most promising to me, but I still can't get it, doing this i need the ##Q_{x}## to yield: ##h_{t}v+gh_{x}h+vhv_{x}##, I'm pretty sure it's not possible to get the ##h_{t}v## term?

I am correct in thinking you can multiply one of the equations/ take derivatives of one of the equations and not the other right?

Thanks very much !

2. jcsd
  3. May 9, 2015 #2
    Multiply the first equation by v and the second by h and add both equations. Note that [itex](vh)_t = v_th + vh_t[/itex]. Some more hints: how can you rewrite [itex]uu_x =(?)_x[/itex]? What is [itex](uvw)_x[/itex] if you write it out?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted