System of first order equations, matrix form, quick question

In summary, the given equations can be written as ##P_{t}+Q_{x}=0##, where ##P=(h,hv)^{T}##, ##Q=(vh,ghv+v^{2})^{T}##, and ##g## is a constant ##>0##. To obtain this form, the first equation was multiplied by ##v## and the second by ##h## and added together. Additionally, the terms ##h_{t}v## and ##hv_{t}## were rewritten as ##(hv)_{t}##.
binbagsss
Question:

##h_{t}+vh_{x}+v_{x}h=0##
##v_{t}+gh_{x}+vv_{x}=0##

Write it in the form ##P_{t}+Q_{x}=0##, where ##P=(h,hv)^{T}##,
where ##g## is a constant ##>0##, and ##v## and ##h## are functions of ##x## and ##t##.

Attempt:

I have ##Q=(vh,?)^{T}##, the first equation looks easy enough,

but I'm unsure on the second equation as the component of ##P## for this is giving ##hv_{t}+h_{t}v##, whereas I need to get to ##v_{t}+gh_{x}+vv_{x}##,

So I'm thinking maybe we need to take a time/x derivaitve of the 2nd equation or multiply it by something. So far multiplication by ##h## seems most promising to me, but I still can't get it, doing this i need the ##Q_{x}## to yield: ##h_{t}v+gh_{x}h+vhv_{x}##, I'm pretty sure it's not possible to get the ##h_{t}v## term?

I am correct in thinking you can multiply one of the equations/ take derivatives of one of the equations and not the other right?

Thanks very much !

Physics news on Phys.org
Multiply the first equation by v and the second by h and add both equations. Note that [itex](vh)_t = v_th + vh_t[/itex]. Some more hints: how can you rewrite [itex]uu_x =(?)_x[/itex]? What is [itex](uvw)_x[/itex] if you write it out?

1. What is a system of first-order equations in matrix form?

A system of first-order equations in matrix form is a set of equations that can be written in the form of Ax = b, where A is a matrix, x is a vector of variables, and b is a vector of constants. This form is useful for solving systems of equations using matrix operations.

2. How do you represent a system of first-order equations in matrix form?

To represent a system of first-order equations in matrix form, you can write the coefficients of the variables as entries in a matrix, the variables themselves as a vector, and the constants as another vector. The resulting equation will be in the form of Ax = b, as mentioned before.

3. What is the purpose of writing a system of equations in matrix form?

Writing a system of equations in matrix form allows for efficient and streamlined calculations using matrix operations. It also allows for the use of mathematical tools, such as determinants and inverse matrices, to solve the system of equations.

4. How do you solve a system of first-order equations in matrix form?

To solve a system of first-order equations in matrix form, you can use methods such as Gaussian elimination, Cramer's rule, or matrix inversion. These methods involve manipulating the matrix and vector representations of the equations to find the values of the variables that satisfy the system.

5. Can you provide an example of a system of first-order equations in matrix form?

Sure, here is an example:
2x + 3y = 7
4x - y = 2
This system can be written in matrix form as:
[2 3] [x] = [7]
[4 -1] [y] = [2]
Where A = [2 3; 4 -1], x = [x; y], and b = [7; 2].