Systems of Nonlinear Equations

In summary, the conversation discusses the possibility of cutting a 60-foot wire into two pieces and bending them into the shapes of a square and a circle, with a total enclosed area of 100 square feet. The equations and attempts at solving the problem are also mentioned, including the discovery of two mistakes in the equations. The conversation ends with a plan to seek help from the teacher.
Lurid

Homework Statement

A wire 60 feet long is cut into two pieces. Is it possible to bend one piece into the shape of a square and the other into the shape of a circle so that the total area enclosed by the two pieces is 100 square feet? If this is possible, find the length of the side of the square and radius of the circle.

Homework Equations

x+y=60, where x is one of the pieces cut, and y is the other.

(x/4)2, which is the area of the square the one of the pieces make.

2∏R=y, which is the circle that the the piece y can make.
R=y/(2∏R)
∏R2=area of a circle
∏(y/(2∏R))2=
y2/(4∏)=

Two Equations:
x+y=100
(x/4)2+y2/(4∏)=100

The Attempt at a Solution

(x/4)2+y2/(4∏)=100
∏x2+4y2 = (100)(∏)(16)

y=60/x

∏x2+4(60/x)2 = (1600)(∏)
∏x4-1600∏x2+14400 = 0

I used the quadratic equation, solved for x and y. I plugged it back in and it didn't work out quite well. Is there anything wrong with my arithmetic or set-up? Or maybe it's impossible?

Any help is greatly, greatly appreciated!

Physics news on Phys.org
You have two mistakes, although one is typographical:

Lurid said:
Two Equations:
x+y=100

This should be 60, according to the set-up.

y=60/x

According to the above equation, you should have [itex]y = 60 - x[/itex].

Steely Dan said:
You have two mistakes, although one is typographical:

This should be 60, according to the set-up.

According to the above equation, you should have [itex]y = 60 - x[/itex].

Thanks so much! I can't believe I couldn't catch that.
I still couldn't get a correct answer though (well, it doesn't work because x=74).

Lurid said:
Thanks so much! I can't believe I couldn't catch that.
I still couldn't get a correct answer though (well, it doesn't work because x=74).

It's a quadratic equation, so you should get two solutions. What's the other?

Steely Dan said:
It's a quadratic equation, so you should get two solutions. What's the other?

It was a negative number, -2.77. I'll just ask my teacher tomorrow. :)

What are "systems of nonlinear equations"?

Systems of nonlinear equations are a group of equations that have at least one variable raised to a power other than 1, and the equations intersect at a point where the variables have different values. These equations cannot be solved using basic algebraic methods, and require more advanced techniques.

How are systems of nonlinear equations different from linear equations?

Linear equations have variables raised to the power of 1 and can be solved using basic algebraic techniques, while systems of nonlinear equations have variables raised to powers other than 1 and require more complex methods to be solved.

What are some real-life applications of systems of nonlinear equations?

Systems of nonlinear equations are used in various fields such as physics, engineering, economics, and biology. They can be used to model and solve problems related to motion, population growth, production and consumption, and chemical reactions.

What are some common methods for solving systems of nonlinear equations?

Some common methods for solving systems of nonlinear equations include substitution, elimination, and graphing. Other more advanced techniques include Newton's method, the bisection method, and the secant method.

What are the challenges of solving systems of nonlinear equations?

Solving systems of nonlinear equations can be challenging because there is no standard method that can be applied to all types of equations. It requires a deep understanding of algebraic concepts and the ability to apply various techniques to find solutions. Additionally, some systems may have multiple or no solutions, making it more difficult to find the correct solution.