1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

T1=T2 how do i motivate?

1. Oct 15, 2015 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

How do i motivate that T1 = T2 in this system.

mHxv4Yc.png without just saying "Oh" its the same rope, like more in depth "why"

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 15, 2015 #2

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

What do you mean by 'motivate'?

4. Oct 15, 2015 #3
    The question is why can we say that t1 = t2 in this problem? Why? What is the reason?:

5. Oct 15, 2015 #4
    By assuming that the rope is massless.

6. Oct 15, 2015 #5
    Why is t1=t2? Has it something to do with newtons third law, u guys dont explain very well sorry..

7. Oct 15, 2015 #6

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, your diagram is open to some interpretation. Is it a static figure? Is there friction present for the surface on which M rests? Are D and M supposed to have the same mass?

If you draw a free body diagram which isolates the sheave, you should be able to determine how T1 relates to T2, assuming of course, you can answer the questions posed above.

8. Oct 15, 2015 #7
    .. This dosent help me, just think of a normal pulley problem where T1 is equal to T2, but why? They are equal, but is it because its "one string" or because of "newtons third law" or why? like common, this is a very easy question, but its quite hard if ur teacher havent told you (in this case told me)

9. Oct 15, 2015 #8

SteamKing

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well, the easy answer is it's the same rope. When you pull on one end with a certain amount of force, that same force is transmitted all the way back to the point where the other end of the rope is attached. That's the First Law of Ropes.

10. Oct 15, 2015 #9

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted