Table for signs of position, displacement, and velocity

In summary, the conversation revolves around a physics homework problem that asks for the velocity of an object based on its displacement and time. The student expresses confusion about the signs of velocity and how it relates to acceleration. It is also mentioned that the homework does not provide any background or textbook for reference. The conversation ends with the suggestion that the problem is a trick question, as it mentions acceleration but does not provide an option for it in the table. The expert notes that logically there should be an acceleration column in place of the position and displacement columns.
mrshashy

Homework Statement

SL8oRHo.jpg

Homework Equations

Velocity = Displacment/Time

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I thought this was straightforward at first, but I'm having my doubts. The position column, I filled out with the standard assumption the right and up are positive and left and down are negative. For displacement, I was a bit confused as to what it was asking, so I figured each situation started at a point and wanted the displacement for that point. By that logic I got the signs for displacement which happened to be the same as the signs of position. Finally for velocity, I first thought it was based on whether the object was speeding up or slowing down. But, I thought that shouldn't really matter for the sign of velocity, but for whether it is increasing or decreasing, which the question doesn't care about. I know velocity = displacement/time, and since time is always positive, the sign of velocity should be dependent on displacement. So I put the same signs from displacement into velocity.

PS, I don't have any background in physics, this is my summer assignment to which they gave no background and no textbook -.-
The fact that all the signs ended up the same still makes me worried that I am doing/did something wrong.

Physics news on Phys.org
mrshashy said:
Finally for velocity, I first thought it was based on whether the object was speeding up or slowing down.

That is acceleration!

The sign of velocity indicates its DIRECTIONedit: read your answers. no problems

Last edited:
Likes mrshashy
So the increasing/decreasing stuff was just a red herring. Thanks for your confirmation :)

well I think it is!

If a car is going forward at 100 mph one moment, and going forward at 50mph the next moment ; then its velocity is still positive (it is going forward!)

however, it is (de)accelerating.for interest, note that if a car is turning a corner, its velocity IS changing because its direction is changing. your 'ball' is going in a straight line.

mrshashy said:

Homework Statement

SL8oRHo.jpg

Homework Equations

Velocity = Displacment/Time

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok, so I thought this was straightforward at first, but I'm having my doubts. The position column, I filled out with the standard assumption the right and up are positive and left and down are negative. For displacement, I was a bit confused as to what it was asking, so I figured each situation started at a point and wanted the displacement for that point. By that logic I got the signs for displacement which happened to be the same as the signs of position. Finally for velocity, I first thought it was based on whether the object was speeding up or slowing down. But, I thought that shouldn't really matter for the sign of velocity, but for whether it is increasing or decreasing, which the question doesn't care about. I know velocity = displacement/time, and since time is always positive, the sign of velocity should be dependent on displacement. So I put the same signs from displacement into velocity.

PS, I don't have any background in physics, this is my summer assignment to which they gave no background and no textbook -.-
The fact that all the signs ended up the same still makes me worried that I am doing/did something wrong.
It seems that none of these specify a position.

Should there perhaps be another column labeled acceleration. The situations described fairly beg for that.

SammyS said:
It seems that none of these specify a position.

Should there perhaps be another column labeled acceleration. The situations described fairly beg for that.

yes, that was my first thought, then I edited the post.

The questions seem to be red herrings - they specifically mention acceleration, but do not give the option. Its almost trying to trick the student, and there should be no trick questions!

William White said:
yes, that was my first thought, then I edited the post.

The questions seem to be red herrings - they specifically mention acceleration, but do not give the option. Its almost trying to trick the student, and there should be no trick questions!
... but has the student provided an image which includes the complete table?

That is the complete table. No acceleration column.
iG2GGwr.jpg

I agree that logically there should be an acceleration column, but it should be instead of the position and displacement columns. No origin nor initial position are specified, so position and displacement are both indeterminate.

Related to Table for signs of position, displacement, and velocity

1. What is the purpose of a table for signs of position, displacement, and velocity?

A table for signs of position, displacement, and velocity is used to track the changes in an object's position, displacement, and velocity over a period of time. It can help to visualize the motion of an object and identify patterns or trends in its movement.

2. How do you interpret the signs in the table for position, displacement, and velocity?

The signs in the table represent the direction of the object's motion. A positive sign indicates movement in the positive direction (e.g. right or up), while a negative sign indicates movement in the negative direction (e.g. left or down). A zero sign may indicate a momentary pause or no movement.

3. How is displacement different from position in the table?

Position refers to the location of an object in relation to a reference point, while displacement refers to the change in an object's position from its initial position. In the table, position is usually represented by a distance value, while displacement is represented by a change in distance value.

4. What does a constant velocity indicate in the table?

A constant velocity is indicated by a consistent sign and value in the table for displacement and velocity. This means that the object is moving at a steady speed in a constant direction without any changes in its motion.

5. How can a table for signs of position, displacement, and velocity be useful in experiments?

A table for signs of position, displacement, and velocity can be useful in experiments to analyze and compare the motion of different objects. It can also help to identify any irregularities or inconsistencies in an object's motion, which may indicate the presence of external forces or factors affecting its movement.