Tagging in Private Conversations

• Thread starter Raghav Gupta
  • Start date
In summary, tagging in PM's allows for quick linking to a member's profile. It also allows for inviting up to 3 members to a conversation. However, tagging does not generate alerts if a member is tagged in a conversation they cannot access. Additionally, the code to display links runs overall, so tagging in conversations without the tagged member will not generate alerts.
Raghav Gupta
What is the use of tagging in PM's?
Because a hyperlink comes but I wonder does a message goes to him/her or not?

Physics news on Phys.org
I think the code to display the links runs overall, in conversations without you it cannot generate alerts. It also does not generate alerts if you get tagged in a forum you cannot access.
I tagged you in a conversation (not including you) to test this.

Thanks.
So I think use of tagging in conversation is that we can invite upto 3 members, so when to refer to someone from invitees we can use it?

Just a quick way to link to a members profile.

Likes Raghav Gupta

1. What is "Tagging in Private Conversations"?

"Tagging in Private Conversations" refers to the ability to mention or label specific individuals in a private conversation or group chat. This allows for easier communication and organization within the conversation.

2. How do I tag someone in a private conversation?

To tag someone in a private conversation, simply type the "@" symbol followed by their username or name in the chat. This will create a notification for that person and make it easier for them to find and respond to your message.

3. Can I tag multiple people in a private conversation?

Yes, you can tag multiple people in a private conversation by using the "@" symbol followed by each person's username or name in the chat. This will create notifications for each person tagged.

4. Can I tag someone who is not in the private conversation?

No, you can only tag individuals who are currently in the private conversation. If the person you want to tag is not in the conversation, you can invite them to join or create a separate private conversation with them.

5. Is there a limit to how many times I can tag someone in a private conversation?

There is no specific limit to how many times you can tag someone in a private conversation, but it is important to use tags purposefully and not excessively. Over-tagging can be considered spamming and may disrupt the flow of the conversation for others.