Take the real part of complex wave function

In summary, the question asks how to take the real part of y2= A exp (4ix) exp (-2it) and how this determines that the wave propagates with constant speed compared to y1= A sin (5x) exp (-2t) and y3= A sin (2x-5t) exp (-2t). The solution involves using the identity exp(ix) = cos(x) + i sin(x) and manipulating the equation to get exp(4ix-2it) = exp i(4x-2t) = cos (4x-2t) + i sin (4x-2t). This shows that the angle 4x-2t must remain constant for
kiranm

Homework Statement

how do I take the real part of y2= A exp (4ix) exp (-2it)? And how does this determine that this wave propagates with constant speed compared to these wave disturbances:
y1= A sin (5x) exp (-2t)
y3= A sin (2x-5t) exp (-2t)

Homework Equations

exp(ix)= cos x + i sin x

The Attempt at a Solution

For Re(y2) i got A cos (4x) cos (-2t). I don't think that is correct i just don't know how to combine that because i know taking the real part is the cos but my attempt doesn't make sense.

Physics news on Phys.org
Let's start with the real part question.

You are right that exp(ix) = cos(x) + i sin(x), so you can plug that into the equation:
exp(4ix) exp(-2it) = (... + ... i)(... + ... i)
When work out the brackets, so you can write it in the form
Re(y2) + Im(y2) i

Or you can first combine the exponentials to exp(4ix) exp(-2it) = exp(...) and then use the identity.

so would it be exp(4ix-2it) = exp i(4x-2t)= cos (4x-2t) + i sin (4x-2t)?

but I am not understanding how this tells u that the wave propagates at constant speed with no change in its profile compared to the other two wave disturbances?

and how can u tell that y1 is a stationary wave whose amplitude is decreasing exponentially with time and that y3 is a traveling wave also decreasing exponentially with time?

Examine the angle 4x-2t. If that stays the same, y2 obviously stays the same as well. So, what's required for 4x-2t to keep constant as t changes? Can you prove that if x=x0+vt for any x0 and some v, then 4x-2t is a constant? What does "v" have to be?

Once you prove that, the second part:

and how can u tell that y1 is a stationary wave whose amplitude is decreasing exponentially with time and that y3 is a traveling wave also decreasing exponentially with time?

should be easy. Examine the sinuisoidal part of y1; what's v? Do the same for y3, then consider what effect the exponential term has on the wavefunction.

1. What is a complex wave function?

A complex wave function is a mathematical function used to describe the behavior of a wave in the complex plane. It is a combination of both real and imaginary components.

2. Why do we need to take the real part of a complex wave function?

In many physical applications, the real part of a complex wave function represents the actual physical quantity being measured. Taking the real part helps to eliminate any imaginary components that do not have physical significance.

3. How do we take the real part of a complex wave function?

To take the real part of a complex wave function, we simply discard the imaginary component and keep the real component. This can be done using mathematical operations such as the Re() function or by graphically visualizing the real part of the wave.

4. What happens if we don't take the real part of a complex wave function?

If we don't take the real part of a complex wave function, we may end up with a result that does not accurately represent the physical quantity being measured. This can lead to incorrect conclusions and interpretations.

5. Can we take the real part of any complex wave function?

Yes, the real part of a complex wave function can be taken for any complex wave function. However, it is important to note that the real part may not always have physical significance in certain applications.