Taking a course that doesn't rely much on textbook

In summary, the conversation is about a student's concerns with their first upper division chemical engineering course, which is known to be difficult. The professor does not rely on a textbook and the lecture is only one side of one sheet of paper. The student is unsure how to prepare for exams with limited information and is seeking advice on how to handle the class. They also mention the lack of resources available for this subject compared to others like physics and chemistry.
member 392791
Hello,

I am taking my first upper division chemical engineering course, which is sort of a survey class that introduces the various topics and methodologies in chemical engineering.

This is my first time having a professor that doesn't rely much on the book, and in his own terms "the lecture loosely follows the textbook''. To me there is a lot of uncertainty in how to prepare for the exams since there is not a lot of information to go on. The lecture can be written in notes on one side of one piece of paper.

I am worried because this class is known as being killer, and I could see how, given how sparse the information is available to us, and at this level there isn't a lot of tutorials on youtube like one would find for physics and chemistry topics. This stuff isn't on khanacademy

Basically, how does one deal with a class with so little information presented, yet so much expected?

Physics news on Phys.org
Woopydalan said:
The lecture can be written in notes on one side of one piece of paper.

Is this a statement about the lecture or about your note-taking skills?

If someone talks for an hour, that's ~5000 words. It would be unusual for a summary of that to fit in only one side of one sheet of paper.

You may consult students taken this course in previous years. They may have practical solution for this "killer".

Last edited:
Vanadium 50 said:
Is this a statement about the lecture or about your note-taking skills?

If someone talks for an hour, that's ~5000 words. It would be unusual for a summary of that to fit in only one side of one sheet of paper.

So if one was to copy everything written on the blackboard, one would find there to be 1 side of 1 sheet of paper of information.

I know your next response is to copy what is orally said, but I think that not much more was given. I mean saying in words what the equations say I suppose.

There must be an awful lot of silence in a class where the professor writes on the equivalent of one side of one sheet of paper and only reads that.

Does anyone have advice for how to go about taking a class that has limited questions to practice with? I'm of course used to a full textbook with 100 problems/chapter to accompany the lecture.

Related to Taking a course that doesn't rely much on textbook

What does it mean to take a course that doesn't rely much on a textbook?

Taking a course that doesn't rely much on a textbook means that the course material and learning is primarily based on other sources such as lectures, online resources, hands-on activities, and discussions, rather than a traditional textbook.

Will there be any required readings for the course?

While there may not be a specific textbook required for the course, there may still be required readings in the form of articles, research papers, or other online resources. These readings will be provided by the instructor and are an important part of the course material.

How will I access the course material if there is no textbook?

The course material will be available through various sources such as lecture notes, PowerPoint presentations, online resources, and handouts. This will ensure that students have access to all the necessary information to successfully complete the course.

Will there still be exams and assignments?

Yes, there will still be assessments in the form of exams and assignments. The material covered in these assessments will be based on the course material from lectures, discussions, and other sources. It is important to actively engage with the course material to do well on these assessments.

What are the benefits of taking a course that doesn't rely much on a textbook?

There are several benefits to taking a course that doesn't rely much on a textbook. It allows for a more interactive and engaging learning experience, as well as the opportunity to explore a variety of resources and perspectives. It also encourages critical thinking and problem-solving skills, rather than just memorization of textbook material.