Should You Relax or Study Hard the Day Before a GCE Exam?

• Thread starter dalcde
  • Start date
In summary, the individual is questioning whether they should be working harder and practicing for their upcoming GCE exam, as they have been napping and playing piano instead. They also have a question about the use of TI 83/84 calculators on the exam, and have received conflicting information. They are concerned that they are not feeling stressed about the exam, which may be unusual in their culture.
dalcde
I'm taking my first GCE exam tomorrow (Physics 1), but I don't feel like really working hard for the exam. I've just taken a nap, and played the piano for I while, and now I'm on Physics Forums. Should I be working really hard and practicing instead?

P.S. Are we really allowed to use TI 83/84 on the exam?

Physics news on Phys.org
It depends on a number of things, including but not limited to study habits, how stressed you are and how prepared for the exam you are. In any case, I think that you will be a better judge for this than any of us here.

Is this for A-Levels or GCSE? As far as I know, graphing calculators are not allowed. Only scientific ones, and they shouldn't be "pre-loaded with anything". You should check with your specific A-Level board though. I'm guessing you're with Edexcel or something.

Mépris said:
It depends on a number of things, including but not limited to study habits, how stressed you are and how prepared for the exam you are. In any case, I think that you will be a better judge for this than any of us here.
The problem is that I feel like I'm not stressed at all. Is that a problem?

Mépris said:
Is this for A-Levels or GCSE? As far as I know, graphing calculators are not allowed. Only scientific ones, and they shouldn't be "pre-loaded with anything". You should check with your specific A-Level board though. I'm guessing you're with Edexcel or something.
It is the GCE. The exam board is Edexcel and the instructions given is that TI 83/Plus and TI 84/Plus are allowed. I won't be buying one though (they are expensive...), but I'm just curious.

dalcde said:
The problem is that I feel like I'm not stressed at all. Is that a problem?

I don't know. Should it be? :)

It is the GCE. The exam board is Edexcel and the instructions given is that TI 83/Plus and TI 84/Plus are allowed. I won't be buying one though (they are expensive...), but I'm just curious.

If they specifically said that they are allowed, then surely they must be?

Mépris said:
I don't know. Should it be? :)

Maybe it's just that I'm accustomed to the "exam > everything" custom in Hong Kong. Most people here just study until very late every day (like 2 or 3 am).

1. How should I prepare for the GCE Exam tomorrow?

The best way to prepare for the GCE Exam is to review your notes, practice past exam questions, and make sure you get a good night's sleep.

2. Is it better to study hard or take it easy the night before the exam?

It is recommended to strike a balance between studying and resting the night before the exam. Cramming can lead to burnout and exhaustion, while taking it too easy may result in a lack of preparedness.

3. Can I use cheat sheets during the GCE Exam?

No, cheat sheets or any other form of unauthorized materials are not allowed during the exam. Make sure to review and memorize all necessary information beforehand.

4. What should I do if I feel overwhelmed during the GCE Exam?

If you start to feel overwhelmed during the exam, take a deep breath and try to refocus. If necessary, take a short break and come back to the question with a clear mind. Don't panic and try to remain calm.

5. Will I be penalized for leaving questions blank during the GCE Exam?

It is always better to attempt all questions, even if you are unsure of the answer. However, if you are running out of time and can't answer a question, it is better to leave it blank than to guess and potentially get it wrong. There is no penalty for leaving a question blank.