How can I take double ResRes at a singularity in the residue theorem?

• Thread starter mrsaturn
  • Start date
In summary, the purpose of taking iterated residues is to evaluate complex integrals and infinite series by breaking them down into smaller, more manageable parts. To calculate iterated residues, one must first identify the poles of the function and then use the Cauchy residue theorem to find the residues at each pole. However, this method has limitations as it can only be applied to functions with isolated singularities and requires knowledge of complex analysis. Iterated residues can also be used in other fields such as engineering and economics. However, there are other methods for evaluating complex integrals and series, such as the method of residues, contour integration, and the Cauchy principal value.
mrsaturn
Homework Statement
Let ##g(z_1,z_2)## be a rational function where the only possible singularities are at ##z_1 = 0##, ##z_2 = 0##, and ##z_1 = z_2##. Verify the following: ##\text{Res}_{z_2 = 0}\text{Res}_{z_1 = z_2} g(z_1,z_2) =- \text{Res}_{z_1 = 0}\text{Res}_{z_2 = z_1} g(z_1,z_2)##
Relevant Equations
##\text{Res}_{z_2 = 0}\text{Res}_{z_1 = z_2} g(z_1,z_2) =- \text{Res}_{z_1 = 0}\text{Res}_{z_2 = z_1} g(z_1,z_2)##
I think we should be able to verify this by the residue theorem, but I'm having trouble applying it to the case when there is a singularity at ##z_1 = z_2##

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
To understand the problem exactly you mean for an example
[tex]g=\frac{1}{z_1}-\frac{1}{z_2}+\frac{1}{z_1-z_2}[/tex]?

Likes FactChecker
anuttarasammyak said:
To understand the problem exactly you mean for an example
[tex]g=\frac{1}{z_1}-\frac{1}{z_2}+\frac{1}{z_1-z_2}[/tex]?
Yeah exactly

Thanks. Then I would like to know how shall I take double ResRes as you do in your formula. Could you show me how to do in this example?

Likes Delta2

1. How can I take double ResRes at a singularity in the residue theorem?

The process of taking double residues at a singularity in the residue theorem involves finding the poles of the function and calculating the residues at those poles. The double residue is then found by multiplying the residue at the pole by the first derivative of the function at that pole.

2. What is the significance of taking double residues at a singularity?

Taking double residues at a singularity allows for the evaluation of integrals that cannot be solved using traditional methods. It is a powerful technique used in complex analysis and has applications in various fields of science and engineering.

3. Can the residue theorem be applied to all functions?

No, the residue theorem can only be applied to functions that are analytic in the region of interest. This means that they must be continuous and have derivatives of all orders in that region.

4. How do I determine the order of the pole in the residue theorem?

The order of the pole is equal to the number of times the function is not analytic at that point. This can be determined by looking at the Laurent series expansion of the function around that point.

5. Are there any limitations to using the residue theorem?

The residue theorem is limited to evaluating integrals over closed curves in the complex plane. It cannot be used to evaluate integrals over open curves or curves in higher dimensions.