1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking PDE or abstract algebra

1. Nov 12, 2006 #1

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

In my uni I am forced to make a painful choice btw taking PDE or abstract algebra. I will take algebra, but I'd like to know what I will be missing?

What is being taught in this class exactly? (BESIDES HOW TO SOLVE A PDE BY SEPARATION OF VARIABLES :rolleyes:)

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 12, 2006 #2
    what is pde

4. Nov 12, 2006 #3

jamesrc

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

I think it depends on what your academic/career goals are. In a Partial Differential Equations class, you'll probably cover Laplace Transforms and Fourier Series in addition to separation of variables. At least that's what I remember from that class.

5. Nov 12, 2006 #4

verty

Homework Helper

Isn't abstract algebra something you could self-study?

6. Nov 12, 2006 #5

FredGarvin

Science Advisor

I think Jamesrc is right. We covered both Laplace and Fourier and separation of variables. We concentrated on a lot of applications in my PDE class (wave equation, heat equation, membrane vibrations etc...).

7. Nov 12, 2006 #6

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Course sybalus reads,

"Equation of the first order and secod order, caracteristic and classification, elliptic equations : laplace & poisson. wave equation, heat equation. Introduction to distributions and Green functions."

How important are Green functions and distributions and what is an elliptic equation?

Overall this looks like easily self-studiable stuff (contrary to the dense and fundamental group theory! I tried to self-study it last summer bu it was rough without the guidance of a prof.)

P.S. PDE=Partial Differential Equations

8. Nov 18, 2006 #7

Dr Transport

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

A course in PDE's is more important to the education of a physicist than a course in abstract algebra. Almost every equation you solve as a physicist can be solved using those techniques. Unless you are going to be a mathematical physicist, you shouldn't need abstract algebra.

9. Nov 18, 2006 #8
    You had to take PDE at LTU? It is not required anymore.

10. Nov 18, 2006 #9
    Fourier analysis is usually a big part of a PDE course. I'm suprised a PDE course isn't required for the Physics degree, or at least strongly recommended.

11. Nov 18, 2006 #10
    god that's all it takes to get a physics near you? i am required to take both those courses, plus another course dealing with method of characterisics and more advanced DE's... ugh

12. Nov 18, 2006 #11

quasar987

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

We we have a course called "Applied analysis" instead, where we see Fourier series, Fourier integrals, Sturm-Liouville theory and special functions at the level of a real analysis class.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?