Taking physics and dealing with depression/anxiety

In summary, this person suffers from serious bouts of depression/anxiety that come and go for no obvious reason. They started physics this year and the anxiety has hit them halfway through the semester. They made a doc appointment to fix this and are afraid it will hurt their academic performance if it's not fixed. Just wondering if anyone else has successfully dealt with depression/anxiety while taking on a difficult subject like physics.
Cjosh
I suffer from serious bouts of depression/anxiety that come and go for no obvious reason. I started physics this year and its hit me half way through the semester. I made a doc appointment to fix this and I am afraid it will hurt me academically if its not fixed and I won't be able to do awesome things. Just wondering if anyone else has successfully dealt with depression/anxiety while taking on a difficult subject like physics.

Physics news on Phys.org
Cjosh said:
Just wondering if anyone else has successfully dealt with depression/anxiety while taking on a difficult subject like physics.
Yes, although my field is applied mathematics, not physics.

Cjosh said:
I suffer from serious bouts of depression/anxiety that come and go for no obvious reason. I started physics this year and its hit me half way through the semester. I made a doc appointment to fix this and I am afraid it will hurt me academically if its not fixed and I won't be able to do awesome things. Just wondering if anyone else has successfully dealt with depression/anxiety while taking on a difficult subject like physics.
To consult a doc is a good idea, preferably a neurologist, since a normal doc probably won't prescribe the real stuff. Their are a lot of drugs out there, that can help. But it takes some time to find out which and in which dose. The latter possibly will be the difficult part. In any case you should insist on drugs, that don't get you addicted. Read about them in Wikipedia.

A secure, however restricted possibility is to use music to influence your moods. But we careful, it works in both directions. And as always in these cases: sports helps a lot. (Not that I followed my own advice here ...)

In addition to the above, which is good advice (we seem to agree on frighteningly many things today, Fresh), I would also caution against thinking this is something you can quickly "fix". When you see your doctor and something indeed turns out to be wrong, do give it time and energy (and proper medical attention, obviously) to become better.

Krylov said:
(we seem to agree on frighteningly many things today, Fresh)
Lol. Although in this case it's probably a matter of experience of life. The number of taboos is shrinking by the years.

fresh_42 said:
To consult a doc is a good idea, preferably a neurologist, since a normal doc probably won't prescribe the real stuff.
I don't know about anywhere else, but in the US Neurologists don't treat depression. It's the province of psychiatrists and/or therapists.

Cjosh said:
How severe? A doctor may recommend therapy, medication, or a combination of both. Does your university have student support in terms of health and counselling?

zoobyshoe said:
I don't know about anywhere else, but in the US Neurologists don't treat depression. It's the province of psychiatrists and/or therapists.
Here they do, if it can be fixed chemically. Or at least they are allowed to do. Of course with the advice to also go to a psychiatrist and sometimes they practice in combination with those. In difficult or urgent cases, it is useful to spend some days or weeks in a clinic to adjust medication. However, in a clinic they often use addictive drugs like diazepam to set a basis on which to treat people further. Normal docs on the other hand don't like to prescribe effective drugs as they are not specialized. That was basically the reason I wrote neurologist plus the fact, that it is often difficult to get on a therapist's schedule in a reasonable time.

StevieTNZ said:
How severe? A doctor may recommend therapy, medication, or a combination of both. Does your university have student support in terms of health and counselling?

When I have it its pretty bad, pretty much dysfunctional, its very frustrating. I've tried a couple times with meds in the past but it didnt work very well. They do and I am signed up, the wait is weeks long though.

fresh_42 said:
Here they do, if it can be fixed chemically. Or at least they are allowed to do. Of course with the advice to also go to a psychiatrist and sometimes they practice in combination with those. In difficult or urgent cases, it is useful to spend some days or weeks in a clinic to adjust medication. However, in a clinic they often use addictive drugs like diazepam to set a basis on which to treat people further. Normal docs on the other hand don't like to prescribe effective drugs as they are not specialized. That was basically the reason I wrote neurologist plus the fact, that it is often difficult to get on a therapist's schedule in a reasonable time.

Thats interesting, didnt know that about neurologists.

Cjosh said:
Thats interesting, didnt know that about neurologists.
But that's the situation in Germany, and as zoobyshoe pointed out, the situation in the US is obviously another.

See a doctor, they can determine if you need medication for depression (clinically depressed) or if you are just feeling depressed because of situations in your life. We cannot make those determinations. Good luck to you. Thread closed.

1. How can taking physics impact depression and anxiety?

While everyone's experience may vary, taking physics can often exacerbate symptoms of depression and anxiety due to the demanding workload and high level of critical thinking required. Additionally, the competitive nature of the field can add pressure and stress.

2. What are some coping mechanisms for dealing with depression and anxiety while studying physics?

Some coping mechanisms may include seeking support from friends, family, or a therapist, practicing self-care and stress management techniques, and setting realistic goals and expectations for yourself. It is also important to communicate with your professors and seek accommodations if needed.

3. Is it common for students in physics to struggle with mental health issues?

While there is no definitive answer, it is not uncommon for students in physics or other demanding fields to struggle with mental health issues. It is important to remember that seeking help is not a sign of weakness and that prioritizing your mental health is crucial for academic success.

4. How can I balance my mental health and academic success in physics?

Finding a balance between your mental health and academic success can be challenging, but it is important to prioritize self-care and seek support when needed. Creating a schedule and maintaining a healthy work-life balance can also help manage stress and improve overall well-being.

5. Are there resources available specifically for students in physics dealing with mental health issues?

Many universities and academic institutions have resources for students dealing with mental health issues, including counseling services, support groups, and accommodations for academic work. Additionally, there are online communities and forums where students can connect with others dealing with similar challenges.