Taking the integral of xe^ax^2

• Thread starter ilikesoldat
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the conversation discusses the process of solving the differential equation dy/dx=x*e^(ax^2) using integration. The solution involves assuming that a is a constant and finding the integral of xe^(ax^2) dx, with the variable of integration being x. The question of whether a is a constant or a function of x is raised, but it is determined that a must be a constant in order to solve the problem.
ilikesoldat

Homework Statement

dy/dx=x*e^(ax^2)

solve the differential equation

Homework Equations

integral of e^x=e^x

The Attempt at a Solution

im not really sure how to do it when there are two variables in the exponent? i tried several things like u=x^2 1/2du=xdx then 1/2*int[e^a*u] results, but i can't take the integral without a different substitution since int[e^a*u] is not = to e^a*u.

the answer is 1/2a * e^ax^2 + C.. any methods to integrate this? several methods would be best

Physics news on Phys.org
Think about how you compute [tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{f(x)}[/tex]

a is a constant, keep that in mind . . .

I solved it with a as a constant and got the right answer, but . . .

How do i know a is a constant? I can't just assume that can I? What is the proof for a being a constant

Last edited:
ilikesoldat said:
I solved it with a as a constant and got the right answer, but . . .

How do i know a is a constant? I can't just assume that can I? What is the proof for a being a constant

Because a is assumed to be a constant in these situations, just as how [itex]\pi[/itex] nearly always represents the irrational number, but in some other cases, it can be mean something completely different, such as representing a product.

And if it wasn't a constant, then you can't solve the problem. So which do you think is more likely? :tongue:

Was the question just "integrate [itex]xe^{ax}[/itex]" or was it to find [itex]\int xe^{ax}dx[/itex]?

That makes sense but it still bugs me to just assume it is a constant :(

And to the other person, the question was

dy/dx=x*e^(ax^2)

solve the differential equation, so yes it would be integral of x*e^ax^2 dx (except you forgot the squared on top of the x in e's exponent)

thanks for everybody's help

The situation is no different than if you were told to solve dy/dx = a .

HallsofIvy said:
Was the question just "integrate [itex]xe^{ax}[/itex]" or was it to find [itex]\int xe^{ax}dx[/itex]?

What's the difference?

HallsofIvy said:
Was the question just "integrate [itex]xe^{ax^2}[/itex]" or was it to find [itex]\int xe^{ax^2}dx[/itex]?

Mentallic said:
What's the difference?
The second, [itex]\int xe^{ax^2} dx[/itex], makes it explicit that the 'variable of integration' is x ("dx") while the first, "integrate [itex]xe^{ax^2}[/itex]", is ambiguous. Of course, it is a standard convention that such things as "x", "y", "z" are used as variables while such things as "a", "b", "c", etc. are used to denote constants.

If it were [itex]\int xe^{ax^2}da[/itex], it would be [itex](1/x)\int e^{ax^2}+ C[/itex].

HallsofIvy said:
The second, [itex]\int xe^{ax^2} dx[/itex], makes it explicit that the 'variable of integration' is x ("dx") while the first, "integrate [itex]xe^{ax^2}[/itex]", is ambiguous. Of course, it is a standard convention that such things as "x", "y", "z" are used as variables while such things as "a", "b", "c", etc. are used to denote constants.
Yes, but without those standard conventions then we could just as well argue that a=f(x) in the integrand, just as the OP has done.

What is the formula for taking the integral of xe^ax^2?

The formula for taking the integral of xe^ax^2 is ∫xe^ax^2 dx = (1/2a)e^ax^2 + C.

What does the variable "a" represent in the formula for taking the integral of xe^ax^2?

The variable "a" represents the coefficient of x^2 in the exponent of the e function. It affects the shape and rate of change of the resulting integral.

How do you solve for the constant "C" in the formula for taking the integral of xe^ax^2?

To solve for the constant "C", you can use the initial conditions or boundary values of the integral. Plug in the values of x and the integral into the formula and solve for C.

Why is taking the integral of xe^ax^2 useful in science?

Taking the integral of xe^ax^2 is useful in science because it helps in solving problems related to motion, heat transfer, and other physical phenomena where the rate of change is proportional to the amount present. It also allows us to find the area under a curve, which is useful in many scientific applications.

Are there any special techniques for taking the integral of xe^ax^2?

Yes, there are special techniques for taking the integral of xe^ax^2, such as integration by parts and substitution. These techniques can help simplify the integral and make it easier to solve. It is important to practice and familiarize yourself with these techniques to become proficient in solving integrals involving exponential functions.