1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taking the integral of xe^ax^2

1. Dec 21, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    dy/dx=x*e^(ax^2)

solve the differential equation

2. Relevant equations
    integral of e^x=e^x

3. The attempt at a solution
    im not really sure how to do it when there are two variables in the exponent? i tried several things like u=x^2 1/2du=xdx then 1/2*int[e^a*u] results, but i can't take the integral without a different substitution since int[e^a*u] is not = to e^a*u.

the answer is 1/2a * e^ax^2 + C.. any methods to integrate this? several methods would be best

2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2011 #2

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Think about how you compute [tex]\frac{d}{dx}e^{f(x)}[/tex]

4. Dec 21, 2011 #3
    a is a constant, keep that in mind . . .

5. Dec 21, 2011 #4
    I solved it with a as a constant and got the right answer, but . . .

How do i know a is a constant? I can't just assume that can I? What is the proof for a being a constant

Last edited: Dec 21, 2011
  6. Dec 21, 2011 #5

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Because a is assumed to be a constant in these situations, just as how [itex]\pi[/itex] nearly always represents the irrational number, but in some other cases, it can be mean something completely different, such as representing a product.

And if it wasn't a constant, then you can't solve the problem. So which do you think is more likely? :tongue:

7. Dec 22, 2011 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Was the question just "integrate [itex]xe^{ax}[/itex]" or was it to find [itex]\int xe^{ax}dx[/itex]?

8. Dec 22, 2011 #7
    That makes sense but it still bugs me to just assume it is a constant :(

And to the other person, the question was

dy/dx=x*e^(ax^2)

solve the differential equation, so yes it would be integral of x*e^ax^2 dx (except you forgot the squared on top of the x in e's exponent)

thanks for everybody's help

9. Dec 22, 2011 #8

epenguin

Homework Helper
    Gold Member

The situation is no different than if you were told to solve dy/dx = a .

10. Dec 22, 2011 #9

Mentallic

Homework Helper

What's the difference?

11. Dec 22, 2011 #10

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

The second, [itex]\int xe^{ax^2} dx[/itex], makes it explicit that the 'variable of integration' is x ("dx") while the first, "integrate [itex]xe^{ax^2}[/itex]", is ambiguous. Of course, it is a standard convention that such things as "x", "y", "z" are used as variables while such things as "a", "b", "c", etc. are used to denote constants.

If it were [itex]\int xe^{ax^2}da[/itex], it would be [itex](1/x)\int e^{ax^2}+ C[/itex].

12. Dec 22, 2011 #11

Mentallic

Homework Helper

Yes, but without those standard conventions then we could just as well argue that a=f(x) in the integrand, just as the OP has done.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook