How did my daughter convince our dog to stop pie-ing in the house?

• Thread starter Elisa_507
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Animals
In summary, the conversation revolves around a proud parent sharing their daughter's success in training their puppy to use the bathroom outside. The daughter claims to communicate with the dog and was able to understand its desire to be let out of its cage. The dog has not had any accidents in the house since then. The parent also shares their belief in the sixth sense between animals and humans, and jokingly suggests training the dog to use the dinner plates.
Elisa_507
Hi all,

I am so proud of my daughter (11)!
Around 2 months ago we gave her a puppy, though we all together take care of it. From day one we have put in a lot of effort in teaching him to pie outside (not in the house!).
My daughter claims to talk with her dog and I have always encouraged that. I know it can be done.
Last week she said that the dog wanted to get out of his cage (we have a large cage that he spents some time in so he won't pie around all the time). I said tell him that if he does all his pie-ing outside then he doesn't have to go in the cage at all anymore.

She went to sit in front of the dog en caught his attention. With focus but without words she talked with the dog, she explained him what I had just said. According to her the dog replied:"Yes, but just get me out of here now!"

She took the dog out and he hasn't pie-ed in the house ever since! It is days now! Isn't that awesome :-)

Physics news on Phys.org
So from what I understand, your dog makes pies?

I don't believe people that claim they can speak with animals, your daughter and dog never spoke in the conventional sense. It is just a sense (and for those that ask, it's the 6th sense...) of understanding they have between them. It is roughly the same way I understand when my cat wants something by the way she acts.

And why would you want to get your dog's pies all dirty in the backyard!? Best you teach the dog to pie all over your dinner plates :wink:

1. How did my daughter convince our dog to stop peeing in the house?

There could be a few reasons why your daughter was successful in getting the dog to stop peeing in the house. One possibility is that she trained the dog using positive reinforcement, giving treats and praise when the dog goes to the bathroom outside. Another possibility is that she made sure to take the dog outside frequently, especially after meals or naps, to prevent accidents inside.

2. Can dogs be trained to stop peeing in the house?

Yes, dogs can be trained to stop peeing in the house. Consistent training and positive reinforcement can help teach a dog to only go to the bathroom outside.

3. What are some other strategies for getting a dog to stop peeing in the house?

Other strategies for getting a dog to stop peeing in the house include using a crate or designated potty area, being patient and consistent with training, and seeking help from a professional dog trainer if needed.

4. Why is my dog peeing in the house in the first place?

There are various reasons why a dog may be peeing in the house, including lack of proper training, anxiety or stress, medical issues, or a lack of consistent potty breaks. It's important to rule out any potential medical reasons and address any underlying behavioral or training issues.

5. How long does it typically take to train a dog to stop peeing in the house?

The length of time it takes to train a dog to stop peeing in the house can vary depending on the dog's age, previous training, and consistency with training. It may take a few weeks to a few months for a dog to fully understand where they should go to the bathroom. It's important to stay patient and consistent with training during this process.