1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent line problem

1. Oct 29, 2011 #1
    I'm on mobile so I can't use latex.

Let C: y=8x^5+5x+1 and suppose L is a line through the origin tangent to C at a point P=(a,f(a)) on C.

-Find the coordinates of P

-Compute the slope m sub L of L

Where should I begin? I'm guessing I would need the derivative of the equation f(x)? Then I would use the point slope form to figure out point P?

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 29, 2011 #2

Mark44

Staff: Mentor

Maybe a sketch of the function?
    One would think that might somehow enter into things.

4. Oct 29, 2011 #3
    After I sketch the eqiation what would I do after? So does that mean L is a secant line through the equation?

5. Oct 29, 2011 #4

Mark44

L is a line that is tangent to the graph of the function. It's not a secant line (a line that hits a curve at two points).

BTW, "a secant line through the equation" doesn't make much sense, unless you actually draw a line through an equation, as opposed to drawing a line through the graph of an equation.

6. Oct 29, 2011 #5
    Haha I'll be more precise. I misread I thought it was going through the graph of the equation thinking its a secant line.

So I got the derivative which is f'(x) = (40x^4) + 5.

I wouldn't be able to apply the slope formula since I'm figuring out the coordinates of P. What methods are there?

7. Oct 29, 2011 #6

Mark44

So you have a line from (0, 0) to (a, f(a)) on the graph of your curve. Write an expression that represents the slope of the line.

Write another expression that represents the slope of the tangent at any point on your curve.

Equate the two expressions.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook