1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent line

1. Sep 25, 2006 #1
    Hi, I need help on a math problem that asks me to find k such that the line is tangent to the function, given[tex]f(x) = x^2 - kx[/tex] and [tex]y = 4x - 9[/tex].

I don't know how to solve for k. Is "tangent line" the same thing as the equation that is the derivative of the function?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 25, 2006 #2

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

To find a tangent line:

1) Find the derivative of your function. The derivative gives you the slope of the function for any given x.

2) Find a point on the curve: an x0 and its corresponding y0.

3) Use point-slope form to combine the point and slope into a single equation.

In this case, the x0 is arbitrary. You're not trying to find a particular tangent line at a particular x0, you're trying to find the tangent line for any arbitrary x0.

- Warren

Last edited: Sep 25, 2006
  4. Sep 25, 2006 #3
    No, while the slope of a tangent line at a particular value x for a given function f(x) is the derivative of that function for the particular value x, the derivative of a function f(x) is the expression of the slopes of the tangent lines for all values of x.

5. Sep 25, 2006 #4
    How do I find a point of the curve f(x)=x^2-kx where there are 2 variables?

6. Sep 25, 2006 #5

chroot

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Every point on that curve is of the form (x, f(x)). k cannot be eliminated until the very end of this problem.

- Warren

7. Sep 26, 2006 #6

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There aren't. There is only one variable, x (you know that because it says "f(x)"). The k is an unknown constant. What is the derivative of f(x)= x2- kx, remembering that the variable is x? Knowing that x must give the same "y" value for y= x2- kx and y= 4x- 9 gives you one equation for the two unknown numbers x and k. Knowing that the derivative of f(x)= x2- kx at that x is the same as the slope of y= 4x- 9 gives you another. Now you have two equations for the two unknown numbers, x and k.

(There are, by the way, two correct solutions.)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?