Find k for Tangent Line of f(x) = x^2 - kx

In summary, to find k such that the line is tangent to the function f(x) = x^2 - kx, follow these steps: 1) Find the derivative of the function, which gives you the slope of the function at any given x. 2) Find a point on the curve (x0, y0). 3) Use point-slope form to combine the point and slope into a single equation. Remember that k is an unknown constant and cannot be eliminated until the end of the problem. There will be two solutions for k.
bubbles
Hi, I need help on a math problem that asks me to find k such that the line is tangent to the function, given[tex]f(x) = x^2 - kx[/tex] and [tex]y = 4x - 9[/tex].

I don't know how to solve for k. Is "tangent line" the same thing as the equation that is the derivative of the function?

Physics news on Phys.org
To find a tangent line:

1) Find the derivative of your function. The derivative gives you the slope of the function for any given x.

2) Find a point on the curve: an x0 and its corresponding y0.

3) Use point-slope form to combine the point and slope into a single equation.

In this case, the x0 is arbitrary. You're not trying to find a particular tangent line at a particular x0, you're trying to find the tangent line for any arbitrary x0.

- Warren

Last edited:
bubbles said:
Is "tangent line" the same thing as the equation that is the derivative of the function?
No, while the slope of a tangent line at a particular value x for a given function f(x) is the derivative of that function for the particular value x, the derivative of a function f(x) is the expression of the slopes of the tangent lines for all values of x.

How do I find a point of the curve f(x)=x^2-kx where there are 2 variables?

Every point on that curve is of the form (x, f(x)). k cannot be eliminated until the very end of this problem.

- Warren

bubbles said:
How do I find a point of the curve f(x)=x^2-kx where there are 2 variables?
There aren't. There is only one variable, x (you know that because it says "f(x)"). The k is an unknown constant. What is the derivative of f(x)= x2- kx, remembering that the variable is x? Knowing that x must give the same "y" value for y= x2- kx and y= 4x- 9 gives you one equation for the two unknown numbers x and k. Knowing that the derivative of f(x)= x2- kx at that x is the same as the slope of y= 4x- 9 gives you another. Now you have two equations for the two unknown numbers, x and k.

(There are, by the way, two correct solutions.)

1. What is the general formula for finding the slope of a tangent line?

The slope of a tangent line is given by the derivative of the function at the point of tangency. In other words, it is the value of the first derivative of the function at the x-coordinate of the point of tangency.

2. How do I find the x-coordinate of the point of tangency?

The x-coordinate of the point of tangency can be found by setting the derivative of the function equal to the slope of the tangent line, and solving for x. This will give you the x-coordinate of the point of tangency, which can then be used to find the y-coordinate.

3. What is the process for finding the slope of the tangent line?

To find the slope of the tangent line, you will need to differentiate the function with respect to x, and then plug in the x-coordinate of the point of tangency into the resulting derivative. This will give you the slope of the tangent line.

4. How do I use the derivative to find the slope of the tangent line?

The derivative is a mathematical tool used to find the slope of a function at a specific point. To use it to find the slope of the tangent line, you will need to take the derivative of the function, plug in the x-coordinate of the point of tangency, and then simplify to get the slope.

5. What does the value of k represent in the function f(x) = x^2 - kx?

In the function f(x) = x^2 - kx, the value of k represents the slope of the tangent line at any given point. This is because the derivative of the function is equal to 2x - k, which is the general formula for the slope of the tangent line.