1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Tangent Space of Singel layered hyperboloid

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    Tangent space of single layered hyperboloid

Ok i´m given a single layered hyperboloid given by [tex]\left(\frac{x}{a}-\frac{z}{c}\right)\cdot\left(\frac{x}{a}+\frac{z}{c}\right)-\left(1-\frac{y}{b}\right)\cdot\left(1+\frac{y}{b}\right)=0[/tex]

Now the Problem asks me to take this as a vanishing determinant, i guess they mean

[tex]\begin{vmatrix} \frac{x}{a}-\frac{z}{c} &1-\frac{y}{b} \\ 1+\frac{y}{b} & \frac{x}{a}+\frac{z}{c} \end{vmatrix}=0[/tex]

Now out of the knowledge that the surface is parametrized by a vanishing determinant i should find 2 streight lines through every point p in the surface.

Now im totally lost how to do it by the determinant.

Im perfectly fine with just taking the tangent space at p and the just look for the direction vectors that produce lines entirely in the surface but how to do it this way.

I thought of i as a Jacobian of some function (of a,b,c ?? )for whitch the hyperboloid is sort of a level set but i don´t know how to go on sorry some hint would be fine :)
    Thanks

Last edited: Nov 11, 2007
  2. jcsd
  3. Nov 13, 2007 #2
    come on you guys :)

4. Nov 13, 2007 #3
    Ok solved it :=)

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?