Tangential and radial train acceleration

In summary: So in summary, the train goes from 90 km/h to 50 km/h in 15 seconds, and has an acceleration of 11.55 during that time.
-EquinoX-

Homework Statement

A train slows down as it rounds a sharp horizontal turn slowing from 90.0 km/h to 50.0km/h in the 15 s that it takes to round the bend. The radius of the curve is 150 m. Compute the acceleration at the moment the train speed reaches 50km/h. Assume it continues to slow down at this time at the same rate.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I think this problem is asking to find the instantaneous velocity at t = 15 sec, which when the speed of the train is 15 sec. From the above information give, we can find the acceleration of the train during from 90-50, which is 11.55 using the formula Vf = Vot + 1/2at^2. Then I am stuck here

Physics news on Phys.org
Hi -EquinoX-! :smile:
-EquinoX- said:
… using the formula Vf = Vot + 1/2at^2 …

eugh! :yuck:

Vf = Vot + 1/2at2 (and the similar formulas) is only for uniform (constant in magnitude and direction) acceleration.

Hint: the clue's in the title

tangential and radial acceleration! :wink:

I know the formula of radial acceleration is ar = V^2/r so is it just 50^2/150?

-EquinoX- said:
I know the formula of radial acceleration is ar = V^2/r so is it just 50^2/150?

That's right! :smile:

(except, of course, you'll have to convert the 50km/h into m/s first :wink:)

so it's 192.901/150 = 1.28,

why does the book gives me the information about time?

-EquinoX- said:
so it's 192.901/150 = 1.28,

why does the book gives me the information about time?

(I make it nearer 1.29)

You'll need the time for the tangential acceleration. :wink:

and how is that related? between tangential and acceleration? as far as I know it's dv/dt, but I don't have an equation here to derive...

Last edited:
-EquinoX- said:
and how is that related? between tangential and acceleration?

Oh come on, -EquinoX-!

You titled this thread "tangential and radial acceleration" …

so you tell us

what's the formula for tangential acceleration? :smile:

ok, my basic instinct says that the 90 can be utilized for something, do we find the acceleration first by (90-50)/15? and yes I know it's in km

-EquinoX- said:
ok, my basic instinct says that the 90 can be utilized for something, do we find the acceleration first by (90-50)/15? and yes I know it's in km

Yup, that should do it! :smile:

i hope you're not going to mention instinct in the exams :biggrin:

and does that results in the total acceleration?

and then we can find tangential acceleration from the formula a = sqrt(at^2+ac^2)

-EquinoX- said:
and does that results in the total acceleration?

and then we can find tangential acceleration from the formula a = sqrt(at^2+ac^2)

No, it's the other way round … the tangential acceleration is (90-50)/15 (I thought that's what you meant in your previous post).

Then the total acceleration (if they want it, which they probably don't) is a = sqrt(at^2+ac^2)

thanks tiny_tim :)

1. What is tangential train acceleration?

Tangential train acceleration is the rate of change of the train's speed along its direction of motion. It can also be described as the acceleration that occurs when the train is moving in a straight line.

2. How is tangential acceleration different from radial acceleration?

Tangential acceleration and radial acceleration are two components of total acceleration. Tangential acceleration occurs when the train is moving in a straight line, while radial acceleration occurs when the train is turning or changing direction. Tangential acceleration affects the train's speed, while radial acceleration affects the train's direction.

3. What factors affect tangential and radial train acceleration?

Tangential and radial train acceleration can be affected by several factors, including the train's mass, the force applied to the train, the train's speed, and the curvature of the track. Other factors such as air resistance and friction can also impact the train's acceleration.

4. How is tangential and radial train acceleration measured?

Tangential and radial train acceleration can be measured using accelerometers, which are devices that measure the rate of change of velocity. These devices can be placed on the train and record the acceleration data, which can then be analyzed to determine the tangential and radial components of acceleration.

5. Why is understanding tangential and radial train acceleration important?

Understanding tangential and radial train acceleration is important for engineers and scientists who design and operate trains. It helps them to optimize the train's performance, ensure safety, and reduce wear and tear on the train and tracks. Additionally, understanding these concepts can also help in the development of new technologies and advancements in train transportation.