How Do You Calculate Tangential and Radial Forces on a Shaft?

Your Name]In summary, calculating the tangential and radial forces on a shaft is crucial for selecting the appropriate bearings. The tangential force is responsible for rotation and can be calculated using (Power x 60) / (2 x π x RPM), while the radial force, which acts perpendicular to the axis of rotation, can be calculated using Vertical force / cos(θ). To determine the correct bearings, one must consider the magnitude and direction of these forces, as well as other external factors.
Davieslad

Homework Statement

I need to calculate the tangential and radial force acting on a shaft so i can specify the correct bearings to use, however i don't know of any relevant formulae to calculate these, can anyone help?

Power through the shaft is 1000w
RPM is 130
Force acting vertically on the shaft is 1KN

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I haven't a clue where to start...

Any help much appreciated

Ed

Physics news on Phys.org

Dear Ed,

Calculating the tangential and radial forces on a shaft is an important step in selecting the proper bearings for a given application. The tangential force, also known as the driving force, is the force that causes rotation in the shaft. The radial force, also known as the load force, is the force that acts perpendicular to the axis of rotation.

To calculate these forces, you will need to use the following formulae:

Tangential force = (Power x 60) / (2 x π x RPM)

Radial force = Vertical force / cos(θ)

Where θ is the angle between the vertical force and the axis of rotation.

In your case, the tangential force would be:

(1000 x 60) / (2 x 3.14 x 130) = 230.61 N

And the radial force would be:

1000 N / cos(θ)

Therefore, to specify the correct bearings for your application, you will need to consider both the tangential and radial forces acting on the shaft. It is also important to consider the speed and direction of rotation, as well as any other external forces that may be acting on the shaft.

I hope this helps guide you in the right direction. If you need any further assistance, please don't hesitate to reach out.

I would first suggest looking into the equations for torque and angular velocity to calculate the tangential force on the shaft. Additionally, the force acting vertically on the shaft can be used to calculate the radial force using trigonometric functions. It may also be helpful to consider the properties of the shaft, such as its diameter and material, to determine the appropriate bearings to use. If you are still having trouble, I recommend consulting with a mechanical engineer or referencing a textbook on mechanics for more specific equations and guidance.

What is tangential force?

Tangential force is a force applied perpendicular to the radius of a circular object. It causes the object to rotate around its axis.

What is radial force?

Radial force is a force applied along the radius of a circular object. It causes the object to move towards or away from the center of the circle.

How are tangential and radial force related?

Tangential and radial force are both components of the net force acting on a circular object. They are perpendicular to each other and together determine the direction and speed of the object's motion.

What are the units of measurement for tangential and radial force?

The units for tangential force are Newtons (N) and the units for radial force are also Newtons (N). Both forces are measured in the same unit because they are both components of the overall force acting on an object.

What are some real-world examples of tangential and radial force?

One example of tangential force is the force applied by a person on a door handle, causing the door to rotate open. An example of radial force is the force exerted by a magnet on a metal object, pulling it towards the center of the magnet.