How Does Reducing Distance Affect Tangential Speed in Rotating Space Modules?

In summary, two space modules in outer space are connected by a massless cable and are rotating around their center of mass. Each module has a motor connected to the cable, allowing them to pull each other together. The initial tangential speed for each module is v0 = 7.98 m/s. As they pull together, the distance between them is reduced by a factor of 3. The final tangential speed, vf, for each module can be determined using the formula for linear kinematics, which results in 8.17 m/s. It is important to note that energy is not conserved in this scenario due to the use of motors.
MKM
In outer space two space modules are joined together by a massless cable. These probes are rotating about their center of mass, which is at the center of the wire, because the modules are identical (see the drawing). In each probe, the cable is connected to a motor, so that the modules can pull each other together. The initial tangential speed of each module is v0 = 7.98 m/s. Then they pull together until the distance between them is reduced by a factor of 3. Determine the final tangential speed, which is vf for each module.

sorry I know it seems like I hav soo many questions but this chapter ha been confusing for me. I amd assuming that I can use the formula from linear inematics which is velocity squared = inivital velocity +2 g 3 I get 8.17 m/s I don;t bleive this is correct though

Attachments

• tangential speed.doc
    28 KB · Views: 278
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Hint: What quantity is conserved as the modules are pulled in?

Do you mean the energy? or the velocity it self?

Hint: Energy is not conserved! (A motor is required to pull the modules in.)

Hey thanks I finally found it !

1. What is tangential speed?

Tangential speed is the linear speed at which an object moves along a circular path. It is measured in units of distance per time, such as meters per second or miles per hour.

2. How is tangential speed related to angular speed?

Tangential speed and angular speed are directly related to each other. The tangential speed is equal to the radius of the circular path multiplied by the angular speed. This relationship can be expressed as v = rω, where v is tangential speed, r is radius, and ω is angular speed.

3. What is the difference between tangential speed and linear speed?

Tangential speed is a type of linear speed that is specifically measured along a circular path. Linear speed, on the other hand, can refer to the speed of an object moving in a straight line.

4. How is tangential speed calculated?

Tangential speed can be calculated by dividing the distance traveled along a circular path by the time it takes to travel that distance. This can also be expressed as the circumference of the circle divided by the time taken to make one complete revolution.

5. What are some real-life examples of tangential speed?

Some examples of tangential speed in everyday life include the speed of a Ferris wheel, the speed of a spinning top, and the speed of a car rotating around a circular track. It is also important in understanding the motion of planets and satellites in their orbits around the sun or other celestial objects.