Tangential Speed of Ferris Wheel: Answer & Equation

• Thread starter jlaugh87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Speed
In summary, the problem involves finding the tangential speed of a passenger on a Ferris wheel with a radius of 10m and a rotation of 30 seconds. The tangential velocity is perpendicular to the radius and can be calculated using distance over time.
jlaugh87

Homework Statement

I can't seem to find an equation in my book for tangential speed, but the question states. What is the tangential speed of a passenger on a Ferris wheel that has a radius of 10m and rotates once in 30 seconds? Any help would awesome.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Physics news on Phys.org
When using polar coordinates, there are two velocities... tangential velocity and radial velocity...

The tangential velocity is perpendicular to the radius from the origin to the point of interest...

So in this case the radius from the center of the Ferris wheel to the passenger... the tangential velocity is perpendicular to that in the direction of rotation...

So in this case the only speed is the tangential speed... there is no radial speed here... in other words the passenger goes in a circular path... the radius is fixed...

If the Ferris wheel was expanding getting a larger radius while rotating... then there'd be a radial speed to consider...

Just use distance/time to get the tangential speed...

awesome, i guess i was over thinking it

FAQ: Tangential Speed of Ferris Wheel: Answer & Equation

What is the tangential speed of a Ferris wheel?

The tangential speed of a Ferris wheel is the linear speed at which an object on the wheel's rim moves, measured in units of distance per time (such as meters per second).

How is the tangential speed of a Ferris wheel calculated?

The tangential speed of a Ferris wheel can be calculated using the equation v = rw, where v is the tangential speed, r is the radius of the wheel, and w is the angular speed (measured in radians per second).

What factors affect the tangential speed of a Ferris wheel?

The tangential speed of a Ferris wheel is affected by the radius of the wheel, the angular speed of the wheel, and the size of the wheel (larger wheels generally have a higher tangential speed).

Why is the tangential speed of a Ferris wheel important to consider?

The tangential speed of a Ferris wheel is important to consider because it affects the overall experience of the ride, including how fast passengers are moving and the forces acting on them. It is also important for safety considerations and ride design.

How does the tangential speed of a Ferris wheel differ from the linear speed?

The tangential speed of a Ferris wheel is the linear speed at a specific point on the wheel's rim, while the linear speed is the overall speed of the wheel's rotation. The tangential speed changes as the point on the rim moves, while the linear speed remains constant.