Tanθ = 5/12 , with θ in Quadrant 1, find sin2θ?

• Thread starter Neopets
  • Start date
In summary, the person is trying to solve for sin2θ but is having trouble. They have all the information they need to solve the equation but are not sure how to start.
Neopets

Homework Statement

Tanθ = 5/12 , with θ in Quadrant 1, find sin2θ?

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

I drew a diagram in quadrant 1, it pretty much looked like a right triangle with a 5 for the length of the sin part and the 12 for the length of the cos part of the tan of 5/12 mentioned in the initial question. Then I noted that sin will be positive in the first quadrant. Now I'm having trouble coming up with the formula to use, I tried Sin2θ=2sinθcosθ which did not work.

Physics news on Phys.org
What exactly are you using for sine and cosine in the equation? Keep in mind, sine and cosine cannot be less than -1 or greater than 1. 5/12 is the proportion, but that does not mean [itex]\sin(\theta)=5[/itex].

It might be helpful to consider the definition sine=opposite/hypotenuse. The opposite side of your triangle is 5, as you know. What is the hypotenuse?

the triangle is 5, 12, 13

cos(theta) = adj/hyp
sin(theta) = opp/hyp
x2= ?

cosmoKaty said:
the triangle is 5, 12, 13

cos(theta) = adj/hyp
sin(theta) = opp/hyp
So cos(θ) = ?
And sin(θ) = ?
You have all the numbers you need to figure these out. Once you get them, you can get sin(2θ) by using the double angle identity.
cosmoKaty said:
x2= ?
It's customary to write two times a variable with the constant first, as in 2x. In any case, your variable is θ, so it would be 2θ. If you write x2 or θ2, people are liable to think you're trying to write x2 or θ2, or that you have a variable named x2.

okay sorry about that, I meant "times two"
would that have been the correct next step?

Can you find [itex]\sin(\theta)[/itex] and [itex]\cos(\theta)[/itex]? If so, you can use the double angle identity for sine to find the answer.

cosmoKaty said:
okay sorry about that, I meant "times two"
would that have been the correct next step?
No. The steps are laid out in my post and in Strants's post.

What does the equation Tanθ = 5/12 mean?

The equation Tanθ = 5/12 means that the tangent of an angle θ in Quadrant 1 is equal to 5/12.

How do I find the value of sin2θ?

To find the value of sin2θ, you can use the trigonometric identity sin2θ = 2sinθcosθ. In this case, since we know the value of Tanθ, we can use the Pythagorean identity Tanθ = sinθ/cosθ to find sinθ. Then, we can plug in the values of sinθ and cosθ into the equation sin2θ = 2sinθcosθ to find the value of sin2θ.

What is the value of sin2θ when Tanθ = 5/12?

The value of sin2θ when Tanθ = 5/12 is approximately 0.416667.

Why does the solution for sin2θ have two different values?

The solution for sin2θ has two different values because of the trigonometric identity sin2θ = 2sinθcosθ. Since we are dealing with an angle in Quadrant 1, both sinθ and cosθ are positive, resulting in two possible values for sin2θ.

How can I check my answer for sin2θ?

You can check your answer for sin2θ by using a calculator or by graphing the function sin2θ = 2sinθcosθ and seeing if the graph matches your calculated value. Additionally, you can use the Pythagorean identity sin2θ + cos2θ = 1 to check if your value for sin2θ is valid.