Tattoos & Piercings: Thoughts & Experiences?

• Thread starter mcknia07
  • Start date
In summary, tattoos and piercings can be good or bad, depending on the person. Some like them and some don't, but they all have their own individual preferences.
vincentm said:
I take it you've met every single chick on this planet with a tattoo on that area to justify this claim?

Yes.

Physics news on Phys.org
I'd always heard that getting your ear(lobe)s pierced "doesn't hurt a bit!"
Well, it does. Nothing agonizing, but the pain is slightly more intense than a vaccination and lasts a bit longer, also. Really nothing terrible, but I was pretty darn surprised.

And speaking of fathers... mine's still rather sad that I put holes in my ears. And to be perfectly honest, I feel that way a bit also --but earrings are so pretty! said the girl.

mbrmbrg said:
Well, it does.
No it does not. It is a tiny itch. What is the worse pain you ever felt in you life ? Not advising you to investigate what pain can be, but maybe not to think you know what it is :smile:

humanino said:
What is the worse pain you ever felt in you life ?

Sinus infection that progressed into some other more severe infection. I was hospitalized, but the pain was excruciating! The swelling caused permanent damage to my sinuses. It was a week long head ache that codeine couldn't fix. I also got tree branched while jumping a pair of barrels on my horse. The branch caught me full in the chest, and then I conveniently landed on the barrels on my back. 3 broken ribs. Everything hurt, I couldn't stand up, lay down, sit down, there was no comfort to be found. Also a friend of mine went eventing (horse trailing) and during her cross country bit her horse stopped at a fence and she dove face first into it. We watched her get up, tighten her helmet, and then get back on. When she had finished her course, she got off, undid her helmet and spat out her teeth. She said it hurt more having the dentist fix it than it did having them knocked out. I hear birth is painful too, I've seen horses do it and they don't seem to mind, but my mom says its awful. I think relative to most things, piercings are not so bad.

As far as judging people by their looks, I admitted that I try to avoid it. I listen to metal (and classical) and I still dress like the tough rocker I use to be, simply because I can't afford new clothes being a student and all, and I'm a good person. I know however, when people see me on the street with my knee hight boots and TOOL T.shirt they think I am a trouble maker. They are wrong. I haven't been to the bar once this year, and my housemate who happens to be a gorgeous well dressed well mannered young lady, also happens to be the biggest slut I've met. Were talking one night stands etc. She is also really mean! She tells me I am fat and that I should just stop eating, and keeps offering to show me how to do my make up to hide my "inconvenient parts". Looking at her you would never guess she's that sort.

fileen said:
humanino said:

Sinus infection that progressed into some other more severe infection. I was hospitalized, but the pain was excruciating! The swelling caused permanent damage to my sinuses. It was a week long head ache that codeine couldn't fix. I also got tree branched while jumping a pair of barrels on my horse. The branch caught me full in the chest, and then I conveniently landed on the barrels on my back. 3 broken ribs. Everything hurt, I couldn't stand up, lay down, sit down, there was no comfort to be found. Also a friend of mine went eventing (horse trailing) and during her cross country bit her horse stopped at a fence and she dove face first into it. We watched her get up, tighten her helmet, and then get back on. When she had finished her course, she got off, undid her helmet and spat out her teeth. She said it hurt more having the dentist fix it than it did having them knocked out. I hear birth is painful too, I've seen horses do it and they don't seem to mind, but my mom says its awful. I think relative to most things, piercings are not so bad.

As far as judging people by their looks, I admitted that I try to avoid it. I listen to metal (and classical) and I still dress like the tough rocker I use to be, simply because I can't afford new clothes being a student and all, and I'm a good person. I know however, when people see me on the street with my knee hight boots and TOOL T.shirt they think I am a trouble maker. They are wrong. I haven't been to the bar once this year, and my housemate who happens to be a gorgeous well dressed well mannered young lady, also happens to be the biggest slut I've met. Were talking one night stands etc. She is also really mean! She tells me I am fat and that I should just stop eating, and keeps offering to show me how to do my make up to hide my "inconvenient parts". Looking at her you would never guess she's that sort.

Sorry to hear about your roommate situation! I had a mean roommate once. She actually complained to the apartment manager that a neighbor was encroaching on her parking space - the van wasn't over the line, but it was "too close." The van driver had to park like that - he was in a wheelchair and needed the extra space to get his chair out! What a b1tch that woman was!

fileen said:
humanino said:

1. I do judge people by their looks, we all do.

2. Your room mate sucks. Kill her in her sleep with a pillow.

Cyrus said:
I do judge people by their looks, we all do.
Many people have the minimum humanity to try not to. Most of them have some success in that, for best rewards mostly.

The rest of us with at least some open midness might appreciate if you do not speak for them.

humanino said:
Many people have the minimum humanity to try not to. Most of them have some success in that, for best rewards mostly.

The rest of us with at least some open midness might appreciate if you do not speak for them.

Everyone judges someone they see based on how they look. When you see a bum walking down the street filthy, smelly, and screaming he's is god, you judge him to be crazy. When you see a guy dressed in expensive clothes, you judge him as rich, etc. People do it all the time, even if they (hint: YOU) don't realize it. Its called first impressions.

Cyrus said:
Everyone judges someone they see based on how they look. When you see a bum walking down the street filthy, smelly, and screaming he's is god, you judge him to be crazy. When you see a guy dressed in expensive clothes, you judge him as rich, etc. People do it all the time, even if they (hint: YOU) don't realize it. Its called first impressions.

Most people are autexousious, but should show some restraint.

humanino said:
mbrmbrg said:
Well, it does
No it does not. It is a tiny itch. What is the worse pain you ever felt in you life ? Not advising you to investigate what pain can be, but maybe not to think you know what it is :smile:

Didn't say it was excruciating, just said that since everyone told me it wouldn't hurt at all, I was rather surprised by the (admittedly minimal in the grand scheme of things) pain.
Totally not a reason not to get ears pierced, but if OP wants to know if it hurts, answer is yes. A little, but yes.

Piercings can cause some the the nastiest and most foul-smelling infections I've encountered in the ER - not to mention the tongue piercings causing thrush. Not fun.

Did not mean to affend

Poop-Loops said:
In High School I was a loser and a nerd. The nerd part didn't change... and well... I guess I'm still kind of a loser.

But my point is I grew my hair out and started listening to Death Metal (coincidence, by the way, I grew my hair out before I "found" metal), wear what I want, which is usually jeans and a t-shirt, although no piercings.

I will be finishing my degree in physics soon and I have been doing research for my professor since the start of summer.

You may not like that "style" anymore, but don't try to make it out as if you can't be a decent person because you have long hair and piercings.

Case in point:

Friend of mine, chemistry major, graduating this year. LOTS of piercings, LOTS of tattoos. Great student going to graduate school in Chemistry. Dresses in all black clothes, longish hair, etc, but plays the piano VERY well and loves classical music. Plays a lot of Liszt.

I'm Sorry, I didn’t mean if you have long hair, piercing etc you are a bad person. That’s not at all what I mean, my dad has long hair and I know he is a great person! Right now I have a Mohawk, I was just trying to point out that in high school you try to be your image, not just looks but also attitude. After high school I realized that I am not my jeans, my ****, shoes, my piercing. I was me and no matter what outfits I ware they are not me.

Eric DMC said:
I realized that I am not my jeans, my ****, shoes, my piercing. I was me and no matter what outfits I ware they are not me.

That we can agree on. :smile:

I do not like piercings at all, I don't find them appealing. Tattoos I don't mind, they just have to be tasteful and not overdone. I don't think I will ever get a tattoo myself because I am not artistic enough to design one myself and don't think I would ever come up with something i would want forever...plus years down the road it would likely look terrible.

Cyrus said:

I have to disagree with you on this I am afraid. I think that when people make such judgments (such as judging a homeless person to be crazy) it is due to their ignorance and inability to see beyond themselves. There are lots of people (hint: me) who have had lots of experience volunteering with homeless people, and who have taken the time to educate themselves, who know that most homeless people suffer mental illnesses that render them unable to function in a normal society. Many people understand that homeless people are not crazy, they are however often sick. Most people are able to find compassion and understanding.
You are not talking about first impressions, you're talking about stereotypes. Most people are able to reason beyond a stereotype. (however I've been avoiding blonds since having to deal with my crazy house mate. Shes another one who may be suffering some mental illness, caught her spitting in my shoe... )

Likes gracy
scorpa said:
I do not like piercings at all, I don't find them appealing. Tattoos I don't mind, they just have to be tasteful and not overdone. I don't think I will ever get a tattoo myself because I am not artistic enough to design one myself and don't think I would ever come up with something i would want forever...plus years down the road it would likely look terrible.

I don't mind ear piercings, but don't care for any others. I'm not really even fond of more than one piercing per ear. One SMALL, tasteful tattoo won't bother me too much, but if they cover more than about 2 square inches of skin, I really start to cringe about them. And, those ones that seem to be more indicative of obnoxious attitude rather than something meaningful really bug me...the barbed wire around the arm, the "cut here" dotted line on the wrist... :yuck:

I don't jump to the conclusion Cyrus does about them being a "tramp" though. My experience being around people with those sorts of tattoos is that a lot of them are actually kind of low in self-esteem and really aren't getting that many dates or "hook ups" because of that lack of self-esteem. The tattoos seem more like a way to appear something they are not to cover up their lack of self-esteem and look tougher.

The tattoo that I want to get will never embarrass me. It's my modification of a design that Theodore Sturgeon (I think that it was him, but it might have been one of the other 'golden age' SF writers) used in autograph sessions... a 'Q' with an arrow through it. My modification is that I use a 'balloon' font question mark in chrome yellow with a red arrow through it (pointing to the right). It simply means 'Ask the next question.'
By the way, my piercing was someplace that would be seen only by special invitation, so it definitely wasn't some public display of being someone that I'm not. It just made me feel better about myself, and I really regret that it kept rejecting.

Last edited:
Moonbear said:
I don't jump to the conclusion Cyrus does about them being a "tramp" though. My experience being around people with those sorts of tattoos is that a lot of them are actually kind of low in self-esteem and really aren't getting that many dates or "hook ups" because of that lack of self-esteem. The tattoos seem more like a way to appear something they are not to cover up their lack of self-esteem and look tougher.

Note to self: get tattoo on lower back.

Moonbear said:
I don't mind ear piercings, but don't care for any others. I'm not really even fond of more than one piercing per ear. One SMALL, tasteful tattoo won't bother me too much, but if they cover more than about 2 square inches of skin, I really start to cringe about them. And, those ones that seem to be more indicative of obnoxious attitude rather than something meaningful really bug me...the barbed wire around the arm, the "cut here" dotted line on the wrist... :yuck:

Yeah I didn't really count ear piercings, my ears are pierced, it is pretty much the norm for most women to have them done, I think I got my ears pierced in grade 5 or something like that. I meant piercings like eyebrows, lips, tongue...ect that I find rather revolting. Most of my family members outside of my immediate family have tattoos so they don't really bother me, that and maybe I've spent to much time hanging around motorcycle shops to really notice them that much. I do not like it when people go overboard and get sleeves, or full back tattoos...ect, it looks bad enough on a guy and it looks even worse on a girl.

Tsu said:
Piercings can cause some the the nastiest and most foul-smelling infections I've encountered in the ER - not to mention the tongue piercings causing thrush. Not fun.

hmm, thrush. Horses get thrush in their feet, its a stinky rotting problem that causes the hoof to fall apart and fill with goop. Is this the same thrush? My boyfriend had a tongue piercing, it grossed me right out. I never even knew he had it at first (he was very discreet) He nailed my tooth with it once while attempting a kiss. Needless to say he did not get the reaction he was hoping for. It took him forever to realize that it was the reason he was not receiving many kisses. He took it out but there's still a hole. I can't imagine poking a hole in my tongue.. ew. He told me to comment that he has had piercings in many places, nipples, eye brows, lips etc. and he claims that none of them hurt.

Tsu said:

Would that be anaerobic bacteria? Ugh -- GAG! I can't imagine having an infection RIGHT IN MY NOSE...:yuck:

fileen said:
hmm, thrush. Horses get thrush in their feet, its a stinky rotting problem that causes the hoof to fall apart and fill with goop. Is this the same thrush? My boyfriend had a tongue piercing, it grossed me right out. I never even knew he had it at first (he was very discreet) He nailed my tooth with it once while attempting a kiss. Needless to say he did not get the reaction he was hoping for. It took him forever to realize that it was the reason he was not receiving many kisses. He took it out but there's still a hole. I can't imagine poking a hole in my tongue.. ew. He told me to comment that he has had piercings in many places, nipples, eye brows, lips etc. and he claims that none of them hurt.

In humans, thrush is a yeast infection. When a person gets thrush in their mouths, they get a thick white coating on their tongue. It's icky.

I don't know if the thrush that horses get is also a yeast infection.

well its black, and it smells super nasty. It is definitely bacterial, it usually happens if a horse stands in wet for too long. Horses that don't go to pasture, or horses that are outside in mud all the time often get it. It is usually cleared up with a product called Koppertox. It could be yeast, now I want to know. Time to ask google...

nope, its fusobacterium necrophorum (say that ten times fast) an anaerobic bacteria. However, apparently horses can get yeast infections in their feet.
Well we really do learn something new everyday. I love exam time, it gives me a wonderful excuse to spend my time learning about other stuff...
http://www.betterbebarefoot.com/types_of_hoof_infections.php

Im curious how the hole in the tongue causes this yeast infection? Is there always yeast in our mouths? Also, how do you get rid of it? Can you get it if you don't have a piercing?

Last edited by a moderator:
fileen said:
I have to disagree with you on this I am afraid. I think that when people make such judgments (such as judging a homeless person to be crazy) it is due to their ignorance and inability to see beyond themselves. There are lots of people (hint: me) who have had lots of experience volunteering with homeless people, and who have taken the time to educate themselves, who know that most homeless people suffer mental illnesses that render them unable to function in a normal society. Many people understand that homeless people are not crazy, they are however often sick. Most people are able to find compassion and understanding.
You are not talking about first impressions, you're talking about stereotypes. Most people are able to reason beyond a stereotype. (however I've been avoiding blonds since having to deal with my crazy house mate. Shes another one who may be suffering some mental illness, caught her spitting in my shoe... )

She was spitting in your shoes? What the hell?

ya I have a strange love for my shoes and she know it. I own dozens of pairs and they are all neatly kept in boxes and treated with the greatest of care. I am particularly fond of high heels. I like how they make my butt look, so I will often pull out a pair that matches my outfit and wear them if I don't have a lot of walking to do. I was in the kitchen when she came home and I had left a pair of purple silk heels at the door. She didnt see me standing in the kitchen and I watched her hork up a big spit ball and leave it in my shoe. I am heart broken. My boyfriend bought me those shoes. He is going to be pretty mad when he hears about it. I may not tell him...

fileen said:
nope, its fusobacterium necrophorum (say that ten times fast) an anaerobic bacteria. However, apparently horses can get yeast infections in their feet.
Well we really do learn something new everyday. I love exam time, it gives me a wonderful excuse to spend my time learning about other stuff...
http://www.betterbebarefoot.com/types_of_hoof_infections.php

Im curious how the hole in the tongue causes this yeast infection? Is there always yeast in our mouths? Also, how do you get rid of it? Can you get it if you don't have a piercing?

I only know about it because my daughter had it when she was an infant. It's very, very common in babies (even those without piercings!). As I recall, her pediatrician wasn't too concerned with treating it aggresively. In fact I don't remember her treating it at all! It went away pretty quickly.

Last edited by a moderator:
Oh, and yeah, your roommate is nuts!

I kind of feel sorry for her. For example, she is clearly jealous.. but of what I can't imagine... She has this great hot body, long blond hair etc. So I've collected some shoes, big deal!

Find something she likes and spit in it, too.

You say she has a good body? Spit on it when she's asleep. That'll show her.

hahaha I don't have it in me to be mean. I believe in Karma. I don't need to screw her, she's screwed herself by surrounding herself and poisoning the people around her with negativity. Its just a little spit, I cleaned it with some dish soap and water. Haha, she probably regretted the impulse the moment she got close enough to the shoe to get a whiff of stinky foot! I also made my presence known immediately after, so I imagine she's embarrassed. We have many of the same friends, and though I am not a blabber mouth, I certainly haven't kept her behavior a secret.

Cyrus said:
If a girl has a tattoo on her lower back, multiply the number of guys she said she has slept with by 10.

Thats just stupid.

I agree, how many people wander around declaring the number of people they have slept with? How does that topic of conversation even come up, "so, uh, how many people have you had sexual intercourse with?" that's just crazy. I think I would probably laugh in a persons face if they thought to ask me something like that!

fileen said:
I agree, how many people wander around declaring the number of people they have slept with? How does that topic of conversation even come up, "so, uh, how many people have you had sexual intercourse with?" that's just crazy. I think I would probably laugh in a persons face if they thought to ask me something like that!

How can you laugh in someone's face when you are bent over and facing away from them so they can see your tramp stamp.
Sorry, just kidding, didn't mean it, just a joke.

I don't have one, and I generally don't bend over allowing people a clear view of my bottom. I also don't wear those crazy low rider jeans that allow the world to see ones personal bits. I find they often just push all the jiggly bits from around a womans hips up and over the pants leaving a ring of fat around the pants line. As a result a perfectly healthy woman looks like she's wearing a life preserver. If I did have a tattoo it wouldn't be where just anyone could see it. If I happened to be bent over with my butt facing a person when they ask me how many people I've slept with I think I may actually have to cause them some physical pain.