Taylor Series for exp(x^3) around x = 2

In summary, the conversation discussed finding the Taylor series for exp(x^3) around x = 2. It was suggested to substitute y=x^3 into the Taylor series expansion for e^y, resulting in e^(x^3)=e^2 sum(n=0..infinity) (1/n!)(x^3-2)^n. However, there was some confusion about whether the expansion should be in (x-2)^n or (x^3-8)^n. After further discussion and calculations, it was determined that the expansion should be in (x-2)^n, resulting in the final answer of e^(x^3) = e^8 sum{k} [sum{l
teleport

Homework Statement

Give the Taylor Series for exp(x^3) around x = 2.

Homework Equations

f(x) = Sum[f(nth derivative)(x-2)^n]/n!

The Attempt at a Solution

I know the solution for e^x but can't seem to find a formula for the nth derivative of exp(x^3) around x = 2.

Thanks for any help.

Physics news on Phys.org
You know the formula for the taylor series expansion of e^y right?

Just substitute y=x^3 into that expansion and voila you have the formula for e^(x^3)

I do now that the trick you mentioned works around x = 0; however, I am highly suspicious that this works for x around other than 0. Please show me explicitely why if you still think as you said.

It works just fine, but you get a Taylor series expansion in (x^3-2)^n, not (x-2)^n. It's still a Taylor series though.

e^(x^3)=e^2 sum(n=0..infinity) (1/n!)(x^3-2)^n

Edit- the correct expression about x=2 is
e^(x^3)=e^8 sum(n=0..infinity) (1/n!)(x^3-8)^n

Last edited:
christianjb said:
It works just fine, but you get a Taylor series expansion in (x^3-2)^n, not (x-2)^n. It's still a Taylor series though.

e^(x^3)=e^2 sum(n=0..infinity) (1/n!)(x^3-2)^n

I think your series would actually give the expansion for e^[(x-2)3] and not for e^[x3-2].

d_leet said:
I think your series would actually give the expansion for e^[(x-2)3] and not for e^[x3-2].

Neither, it gives the T series expansion for e^(x^3)

Edit- sorry I should have replaced 2 with 8 in the above equation. Then it works.

Last edited:
christian how did you get the e^2?

christianjb said:
Neither, it gives the T series expansion for e^(x^3)

Edit- sorry I should have replaced 2 with 8 in the above equation. Then it works.

No it still does not (x-2)^3 is not the same as x3-8.

teleport said:
christian how did you get the e^2?

d/dn exp(x) = exp(x)

so when x=2, exp(x)=e^2

However, when you substitute x=(x')^3, you have to change to e^8

d_leet said:
No it still does not (x-2)^3 is not the same as x3-8.

I never said it was!

oh, I see. But then are saying that exp(2^3) is the nth derivative of f around x = 2? Seems strange since for instance, first f derivative = 3x^2exp(x^3). When you substitute x = 2, the above equation is unequal to exp(2^3) as you imply. Not to mention the other derivatives: all unequal to exp(2^3).

Here- I'll go through the steps

e^x = e^a sum (x-a)^n / n!

so

e^(x^3)=e^a sum(x^3-a)^n / n!

= e^(b^3) sum (x^3-b^3)^n / n!

when x=b the RHS is equal to e^(b^3), thus the T series is evaluated about x=b. So for b=2 we have

e^(x^3)= e^8 sum (x^3-8)^n / n!

"The derivative of e^(x^3) is not e^(x^3) it is (3x^2)(e^(x^3)"

Where did I say otherwise?

I see what you are doing but doesn't the last equation you give has the (x^3-8)^n, when it should be somthing like (x^3 - 2)^n, for T be around x = 2?

teleport said:
I see what you are doing but doesn't the last equation you give has the (x^3-8)^n, when it should be somthing like (x^3 - 2)^n, for T be around x = 2?

No, for the reasons I gave above. Look at the value of the expansion when x=2.

The reason for all the confusion is because I'm doing a T series expansion in x^3, and not in x. To do a T series expansion in x might be much more difficult, but the Q doesn't require an expansion in powers of x, though it may be implied.

yeah, you might be right, but it is definitely the first time I see it as
(x^3 - 2^3)^n for T be about x = 2. Seems unusual.

teleport said:
yeah, you might be right, but it is definitely the first time I see it as
(x^3 - 2^3)^n for T be about x = 2. Seems unusual.

First time I've seen it too! It works though, looking at some graphing software.

Thanks a lot for all the help. I am convinced.

Aha, I had a brainwave!

x^3=(x-2+2)^3
x'=x-2, and x' is small near x=2
so x^3=(x'+2)^3
=8(x'/2+1)^3
=(approx)=8(3x'/2+1)
=12x'+8
=12(x-2)+8

so given that x^3 = approx= 12(x-2)+8 about x=2

and

e^(x^3)=e^8 sum(n=0..infinity) (1/n!)(x^3-8)^n

By substitution we have

e^(x^3)=e^8 sum(n=0..infinity) (1/n!)(12(x-2))^n

Which, again looking at my graphing program, works. So, this is a nicer answer, because the expansion is in (x-2). However, it would be nice to have a more concise proof.

Last edited:
OK, here's the concise version...

e^(x^3) about x=2
let x'=x-2
then e^(x^3)=e^[(x'+2)^3]
=e^[8(x'/2+1)^3]
=e^[12x'+8] (approximately)
=e^8 e^12x'
=e^8 sum{n=0..infinity} (1/n!)[12(x-2)]^n

Edit: Aaarrgghh! it's not quite exact, because you also need to expand (x'/2+1)^3 to higher powers in x'. So you really end up with a sum over n and m, where m is a Taylor series expansion of (x'/2+1)^3 about x'=0 in powers of x'^m.

It's messy, but doable.

I wonder if there's a way to only sum over one index.

Last edited:
OK, doing the full expansion of (x'/2+1)^3 I get this for the final? answer

e^(x^3) about x=2

= e^8 sum{l,m,n}12^n 6^m (x-2)^(n+2m+3l) / l!m!n!

Edit: well I guess you can write it in powers of (x-2)^k by rewriting the above as

= e^8 sum{k} [sum{l,m,n} delta(3l+2m+n,k) 12^n 6^m (x-2)^(n+2m+3l) / l!m!n!]

Last edited:

Related to Taylor Series for exp(x^3) around x = 2

1. What is a Taylor series?

A Taylor series is a mathematical tool used to represent a function as an infinite sum of terms, with each term being a polynomial of increasing degree. It is based on the idea that any function can be approximated by a polynomial.

2. How is a Taylor series calculated?

A Taylor series for a function f(x) is calculated by taking derivatives of f(x) at a specific point and plugging in the values into a specific formula. In this case, the formula for the Taylor series of exp(x^3) around x = 2 is:

n=0 (f(n)(a)/n!)* (x-a)n

where f(n)(a) is the nth derivative of f(x) evaluated at x = a, and n! represents the factorial of n.

3. What does it mean to have a Taylor series "around" a specific point?

A Taylor series is said to be "around" a specific point, or center, because it is centered at that point. In other words, the Taylor series is calculated using the derivatives of the function at that specific point. This allows us to approximate the function at values close to the center point.

4. What is the significance of using the Taylor series for exp(x^3) around x = 2?

The Taylor series for exp(x^3) around x = 2 allows us to approximate the value of the exponential function at values close to x = 2. This is useful in situations where the exact value of the function is difficult to calculate, but an approximation is sufficient.

5. How accurate is a Taylor series approximation?

The accuracy of a Taylor series approximation depends on the number of terms used. The more terms we include in the series, the more accurate the approximation will be. However, since a Taylor series is an infinite sum, it is not possible to achieve perfect accuracy. The accuracy also depends on how close the value being approximated is to the center point of the series.