1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Taylor series

1. Apr 8, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Let f be a function with derivatives of all orders and for which f(2)=7. When n is odd, the nth derivative of f at x=2 is 0. When n is even and n=>2, the nth derivative of f at x=2 is given by f(n) (2)= (n-1)!/3n

a. Write the sixth-degree Taylor polynomial for f about x=2.
    b. In the Taylor series for f about x=2, what is the coefficient of (x-2)(2n) for n =>1 ?
    c. Find the interval of convergence of the Taylor series for f about x=2. Show the work that leads to your answer

2. Relevant equations

Taylor series

3. The attempt at a solution

a. I got the sixth-degree series.
    b. Will it just be (n-1)!/3n / (2n)! ??
    c. So will the Taylor series be [tex]\sum[/tex] (n-1)/3n * (x-2)^2n from n=1 to infinity ??

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 8, 2009 #2
    No. Try again.

No. See part b.

4. Apr 8, 2009 #3
    Can you give me some hints ?

5. Apr 8, 2009 #4
    You made a very simple mistake with the n's. Looking at some examples should reveal them. Try 2n = 2 and 2n = 4.

6. Apr 8, 2009 #5
    For 2n=2, the coefficient will be (n-1)!/6 right ?

So should it be (n-1)!/3^n /n! ??

7. Apr 8, 2009 #6
    No. Try again and please show your work.

8. Apr 8, 2009 #7
    So for n> or =1, 2n is always even so for the coeffecient we have to use the formula that is given: (n-1)!/3^n but also the denominator contains an even factorial so it will be 2n

so will the coefficent be (n-1)!/3^n / 2n!

9. Apr 8, 2009 #8
    Still wrong. If n is even, the coefficient of the (x-2)n in the Taylor series is f(n)(2)/n! = (n-1)!/(3nn!), so when you substitute n for 2k (I will use k instead of n because I believe this is what is confusing you), what do you get?

10. Apr 9, 2009 #9
    So the coefficient will be (n-1)!/(3^n*n!) ??

11. Apr 9, 2009 #10
    You keep answering the question (b) that could have been asked, instead of the question (b) that actually was asked.

The question that could have been asked is this: what is the coefficient of (x-2)^n when n is even?

By the way, what is 99!/100! ?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook