Tchebysheff's Theorem questions (statistics)

In summary, The first problem involves determining the lower bound for the expected number of coins with diameters between .48 and .52 out of 400 coins, using Tchebysheff's Theorem. For the second problem, you need to find the expected value and variance of a random variable and then use Tchebysheff's inequality to compare the lower bound of the probability with the actual probability.
TeenieBopper
I have two different problems involving Tchebysheff's Theorem. Hopefully there isn't a rule about asking two different questions in one post.

Number 1

Homework Statement

The US mint produces dimes with an average diameter of .5 inch and a standard deviation of .01. Using Tchebysheff's theorem, find a lower bound for the number of coins in a lot of 400 coins that are expected to have a diameter between .48 and .52.

Homework Equations

μ=.5
σ=.01
k= number of standard deviations from the mean= 2
Tchebysheff's theorem:
P(|Y-μ|<kσ)>= 1- [itex]\frac{1}{k^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Plugging everything in, I get P(|Y-μ|<(2)(.01))>= 1-[itex]\frac{1}{2^{2}}[/itex]
Simplifying, it becomes P(|Y-μ|<.02)>= .75

The lower bound of the probability of a coin being under two standard deviations from the mean is .75. What's throwing me is the lot of 400 coins. I don't know how to take the result of Tchebysheff's theorem and apply it to the sample. Or am I just overthinking it and I just need to multiply 400*.75?

Question 2

Homework Statement

Let Y be a random variable such that
p(-1)= [itex]\frac{1}{18}[/itex]
p(0)= [itex]\frac{16}{18}[/itex]
p(1)= [itex]\frac{1}{18}[/itex]

a) show that E(Y)=0 and V(Y)=[itex]\frac{1}{9}[/itex]

b) Use the probability distribution of Y to calculate P(|Y-μ|>=3σ). Compare this exact probability with the upper bound provided by Tchebysheff's theorem to see that the bound provided by Tchebysheff's theorem is actually attained when k = 3.

Homework Equations

Tchebysheff's Theorem
P(|Y-μ|<kσ)>=1-[itex]\frac{1}{k^{2}}[/itex] or P{|Y-μ|>=kσ)<=[itex]\frac{1}{k^{2}}[/itex]

The Attempt at a Solution

I thought I could just plug numbers into find E(Y) and V(Y). However, in order to get E(Y)= 0, I'd need k=0, which gives me an undefined fraction. Instead, using p(0)=[itex]\frac{16}{18}[/itex], I found k= [itex]\frac{3\sqrt{2}}{4}[/itex]. But I don't know if this number is even useful.

Thanks in advance for any help I get.

Physics news on Phys.org
The first problem asks you to determine the lower bound of the expected number of coins with diameters between .48 and .52, out of 400 coins. Note that such number is random.

You can think of this number as the number of trials of getting coins with such specification from 400 trials.

Under the assumption that each coin is produced independently from one another (or, each trial is independent from one another), this number is a binomial random variable with parameters:

n:=number of independent trials=400
p:=success probability=probability of getting a coin with diameter between .48 and .52. (the one you obtain by using Tchebysheff's Theorem is the lower bound of p, say, p')

The expected value of this variable is n*p>=n*p'. Since the problem asks you to determine the lower bound of the expected value of such number, then you have n*p'=400*0.75 as the answer.

For the second problem, do not get confused by 2b). Find the expectation and variance using usual formula for 2a).

For 2b), plug these values into Tchebysheff's inequality. Then, compare the lower bound of the probability with the actual value of the probability that you can get using the cumulated probability mass function (or by any logical way if it's too complicated; it's easy).

1. What is Tchebysheff's Theorem in statistics?

Tchebysheff's Theorem, also known as the Tchebysheff's Inequality, is a mathematical concept that provides a bound on the probability of a random variable deviating from its mean by a certain number of standard deviations. It is a fundamental theorem in probability and statistics that is used to make general statements about the distribution of a random variable.

2. How is Tchebysheff's Theorem used in statistics?

Tchebysheff's Theorem is used in statistics to make statements about the spread of a data set, without making any assumptions about the shape of the distribution. It is commonly used to calculate confidence intervals and probability bounds for any random variable, regardless of its distribution.

3. What are the assumptions of Tchebysheff's Theorem?

The only assumption of Tchebysheff's Theorem is that the data set has a finite variance. This means that the data set must have a finite range, meaning that the values cannot be infinite or undefined. The theorem does not require any other assumptions about the distribution of the data set.

4. What is the formula for Tchebysheff's Theorem?

The formula for Tchebysheff's Theorem is P(|X-μ| ≥ kσ) ≤ 1/k², where X is a random variable, μ is the mean of the data set, σ is the standard deviation of the data set, and k is the number of standard deviations from the mean. This formula represents the probability that a value from the data set will deviate from the mean by at least k standard deviations.

5. How does Tchebysheff's Theorem compare to other statistical theorems?

Tchebysheff's Theorem is a more general theorem compared to others, such as the Central Limit Theorem, because it does not rely on any assumptions about the distribution of the data set. It is also a more conservative theorem, meaning that it provides a larger bound on the probability compared to other theorems. However, it is a useful tool in situations where there is limited information about the data set's distribution.