Teacher needs maths assistance please

In summary, the speaker is a university English teacher in China who wants to adjust exam marks for their students. They want the marks to range from 60 to 100 while maintaining the proportional relationship between the marks. They ask for help in doing this, and a possible solution is to use the formula ##new = \dfrac{1}{2}\cdot \, old +50## or to find the solution graphically. The speaker thanks the person for their help and states that the solution is fairly simple.
Laser Eyes
I teach English at a university in China. I don't want any of my students to fail so I need to adjust exam marks. The exam marks range from 20 to 100. I want to adjust them so that the marks will range from 60 to 100, but I want to retain the proportional relationship between the marks. So for example 20 out of 100 will become 60 and 60 out of 100 will become 80. I haven't had to do any maths for many years so can someone please let me know how to do this.

Mathematics news on Phys.org
Usually we require some effort and an attempt to solve the problem, because we cannot know whether your story is correct or only a nice trick to get homework solved. So my answer now isn't really allowed. However, I think I can make an exception, as the solution isn't really very complicated. You can use ##new = \dfrac{1}{2}\cdot \, old +50##
You can also find this solution graphically.

Thank you. I knew the answer was fairly simple and I could have proven what I said if necessary.

1. Can you explain the concept of fractions?

Fractions are a way to represent a part of a whole. They are written as a number over another number, with the top number called the numerator and the bottom number called the denominator. For example, 1/2 represents one out of two equal parts.

2. How can I improve my understanding of algebra?

Practicing regularly and breaking down complex problems into smaller, more manageable steps can help improve your understanding of algebra. Additionally, seeking assistance from a teacher or tutor can provide valuable guidance and support.

3. What is the importance of geometry in math?

Geometry is important in math because it helps us understand and analyze shapes, sizes, and spatial relationships. It also has many real-world applications, such as in architecture, engineering, and navigation.

4. How can I overcome my fear of math?

Fear of math is a common issue and can be overcome by building confidence through practice, seeking help when needed, and changing your mindset towards math. Remember that making mistakes is a part of the learning process and should not discourage you from trying again.

5. How can I help my students who struggle with math?

First, identify the specific areas in which the student is struggling and provide targeted practice and support in those areas. Additionally, incorporating real-world examples and hands-on activities can make math more engaging and easier to understand. Finally, offering encouragement and positive reinforcement can help boost the student's confidence and motivation.