Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Techniques for solving various differential equations

1. Sep 19, 2009 #1
    So I have recently begun my first graduate level engineering math class. The course teaches us different techniques for solving various differential equations. Many of these equations I have never actually seen being applied to something, they are only just examples for us to learn how to solve them. So I am curious what kind of physical systems these equations model.

For example:
    Bernoulli Differential Equations
    Ricatti Equation
    Euler-Cauchy Equations

Many of the other equations are just first order equation that are unlike any Ive seen be applied to something in my courses before. Such as...

x (x^2+y^2) dy/dx = y^3

dy/dx = (x+y) / (x-y)

There are many more but I wont bother putting too many specific examples.

Thanks in advance, and I look forward to reading your responses.

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 19, 2009 #2
    Re: Applications?

Ordinary differential equations are used in every field of science.

Euler-Cauchy Equations are used in fluid mechanics and various other places. Same for the Bernoulli equation. I don't have a good example for the Ricatti equation.

x (x^2+y^2) dy/dx = y^3

dy/dx = (x+y) / (x-y)

These equations are just equations for you to solve. They don't represent anything in particular. When you solve them you will have a constant, c, in the result and you can't proceed any further unless information is provided such as, an initial value.

Thanks
    Matt

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook