Telescoping Series Simplification

In summary: Remember that a_n is the term that corresponds to the nth partial sum s_n. So in this case, a_n would be \frac{-n}{2^{n}}+\frac{n-1}{2^{n-1}}. And yes, the sum would be 3.
courtrigrad
I want to determine whether [tex] \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{2}{n^{2}-1} [/tex] is convergent or divergent. I did the following:

[tex] \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{2}{n^{2}-1} = \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} (\frac{1}{j-1} + \frac{1}{j+1}) [/tex]. Writing down some terms, I got:

[tex] (1-\frac{1}{3})+(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{4})+(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{5}) + (\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{6})... [/tex]. It seemed like all the terms were canceling except [tex] (1+\frac{1}{2}) [/tex].

But when I looked at the answer, it said the sum was [tex] s_{n}= 1+\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{n-1}-\frac{1}{n} [/tex].

Can anybody tell me how they got this?Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
S_n is the partial sum, not the whole sum. to get the whole sum, take the limit of S_n as n-->oo and you do get 1+1/2.

btw, it should be

[tex] \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} \frac{2}{n^{2}-1} = \sum^{\infty}_{n=2} (\frac{1}{j-1} - \frac{1}{j+1}) [/tex]

Oh, but you developped the sum correctly, so never mind.

but how did they get the partial sum?

but hum... I do calculate something different for S_n... I get

[tex]S_n = 1+\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{n}+\frac{1}{n-1}-\frac{1}{n+1}[/tex]

It looks like they want:

[tex]s_n=\sum_{j=2}^{n-1}\frac{1}{j-1}-\frac{1}{j+1}[/tex]

i.e. s_4 is really the first two terms of your sum, that is s_4=(1-1/3)+(1/2-1/4). Then:

[tex]s_n=\sum_{j=2}^{n-1}\frac{1}{j-1}-\sum_{j=2}^{n-1}\frac{1}{j+1}=\sum_{j=1}^{n-2}\frac{1}{j}-\sum_{j=3}^{n}\frac{1}{j}[/tex]

So let's say I have [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} (\frac{3}{n(n+3)}) = (\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+3}) [/tex]. I said that this equals:

[tex] (1-\frac{1}{4})+(\frac{1}{2}-\frac{1}{5})+(\frac{1}{3}-\frac{1}{6})+(\frac{1}{4}-\frac{1}{7})+...+(\frac{1}{n-1}-\frac{1}{n+2})+(\frac{1}{n}-\frac{1}{n+3}) [/tex]. So how do I simplify this sequence of partial sums so that I can take the limit to get the value of the sumAlso if the nth partial sum of a series [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n} [/tex] is [tex] s_{n} = 3-\frac{n}{2^{n}} [/tex] find [tex] a_{n} [/tex] and [tex] \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} a_{n} [/tex]. So would [tex] a_{n} = s_{n}-s_{n-1} = (\frac{-n}{2^{n}}+\frac{n-1}{2^{n-1}}) [/tex]? The sum would be [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} s_{n} = 3 [/tex]?Thanks

Last edited:
courtrigrad said:
So how do I simplify this sequence of partial sums so that I can take the limit to get the value of the sum

The same way I showed you above, break the partial sum into two sums and adjust their variables of summation so the things inside the sums match and you can subtract them (except a few terms on the ends).

courtrigrad said:
So would [tex] a_{n} = s_{n}-s_{n-1} = (\frac{-n}{2^{n}}+\frac{n-1}{2^{n-1}}) [/tex]? The sum would be [tex] \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} s_{n} = 3 [/tex]?

Looks fine.

Related to Telescoping Series Simplification

1. What is a telescoping series?

A telescoping series is a special type of infinite series in which most of the terms cancel each other out, leaving only a finite number of terms to be evaluated.

2. How do you determine if a series is telescoping?

A series is telescoping if the general term can be written in the form of (an - an+1). If the difference between consecutive terms is a constant, then the series is telescoping.

3. How do you find the sum of a telescoping series?

To find the sum of a telescoping series, you must first determine if it converges or diverges. If it converges, you can use the partial sum formula to find the sum.

4. Can a telescoping series diverge?

Yes, a telescoping series can diverge if the limit of the general term does not approach 0 as n approaches infinity. In this case, the series is not telescoping and may have a different method for determining convergence/divergence.

5. What is a telescoping product?

A telescoping product is a special type of infinite product in which most of the terms cancel each other out, leaving only a finite number of terms to be evaluated. Similar to telescoping series, the general term of a telescoping product can be written in the form of (an - an+1).