Tell me about the harmonograph

• Thread starter harbong
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses the speaker's interest in using a harmonograph as a topic for their math seminar. The harmonograph is a device that uses pendulums and ratios to create geometric patterns. The speaker asks for any experiences or knowledge with harmonographs and provides some helpful resources for further research.
harbong
I'm preparing a seminar for my math degree, and I'd really like to cover a topic that includes my fascination with geometry, music, and some physics. I stumbled upon one of those 'wooden books' coffee table books that covered an interesting device called a harmonograph. It covered exactly what I wanted to look into.

The harmonograph is a device that uses 2 or 3 pendulums with weights at differing ratios, two swinging perpendicular, and sometimes one rotating for another degree of movement. this movement in turn manipulates a surface where a pen or marker is touching, drawing out a pattern based on the oscillations and decay of the pendulums. essentially, it's the grandfather of the spirograph.

the wooden book approaches the ratios of the weights in relation to the ratios that musical intervals operate on, discovered way back by pythagoras. ratios such as 3:2 (the fifth) produce beautiful geometric images on the harmonograph.

If anyone here has experiences or knowledge of harmonographs, or has any websites to further research and understand these devices I'd appreciate it. They seem fairly straight forward in graphing with parametric equations (Lissajous curves with some modifying elements), but I haven't tried my hand at much yet.
A simple google search has yielded some valuable resources already, such as equations to mess around with and try in graphing software (at which I will need to learn in a hurry) and a really great java emulation that let's you play with many variables, or just randomly produce images. mathworld has a very short article as well. I don't know of any math journal search sites, if any exist I can access let me know!
the site with the physics help is
http://members.tip.net.au/~apurdam/harmonograph/harmonophysics.html
and the java emulator is
http://members.tip.net.au/~apurdam/harmonograph/harmonograph.html

any help or info would be great!

Last edited by a moderator:
Physics news on Phys.org
harbong said:
If anyone here has experiences or knowledge of harmonographs, or has any websites to further research and understand these devices I'd appreciate it.
First place to look is Wikipedia:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harmonograph

Next search Google, there are a large number of results with useful information. YouTube too has some good videos regarding them.

Related to Tell me about the harmonograph

1. What is a harmonograph and how does it work?

A harmonograph is a mechanical device used to create intricate and visually appealing patterns. It consists of two or more pendulums suspended from a fixed point, each with a weight attached to the end. These pendulums are connected to a drawing surface, which moves as the pendulums swing, creating unique patterns based on the different frequencies and amplitudes of the pendulums.

2. Who invented the harmonograph?

The harmonograph was invented by Scottish mathematician and physicist, Hugh Blackburn in the 19th century. However, it gained popularity in the late 19th and early 20th century when it was used as an educational tool to demonstrate principles of physics and mathematics.

3. What are the practical applications of a harmonograph?

While the harmonograph is primarily used as a source of entertainment, it has also been used in scientific and mathematical research. The patterns created by a harmonograph can be used to study complex mathematical concepts such as chaos theory and fractals. It has also been used in music and art, with some artists using it to create unique designs for album covers and other visual works.

4. Can you adjust the settings of a harmonograph to create different patterns?

Yes, the patterns created by a harmonograph can be adjusted by changing the frequency, amplitude, and phase of the pendulums. By altering these settings, you can create a wide variety of patterns, from simple to complex, and from symmetrical to asymmetrical.

5. Is it possible to build your own harmonograph?

Yes, it is possible to build your own harmonograph using simple materials such as wood, strings, and weights. There are also many DIY kits available for purchase, which provide instructions and materials for building your own harmonograph. However, it is important to note that proper knowledge of physics and mathematics is required for building a functional and accurate harmonograph.