1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

I Temperature altitude/depth?

1. May 7, 2017 #1
    Hi, so someone probably has already asked this, but does temperature increase or decrease with depth in a fluid? I thought it would decrease since it has more pressure but it is probably wrong, or doesn't make sense. I was confused because the ocean gets colder the deeper you go, but then does the same thing happen with increasing altitude? Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I got really confused. Thanks!

2. jcsd
  3. May 7, 2017 #2

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

There doesn't have to be a single answer, depending on specific situations, but for water in convection, it will tend to be colder lower and warmer higher up. The atmosphere has the opposite because air expands as the pressure drops, resulting in cooling.

4. May 7, 2017 #3
    Ohhhh okay, so it depends on the fluid? Thank you so much a,

5. May 7, 2017 #4

russ_watters

Staff: Mentor

You're welcome, but it isn't just the fluid, it also can depend on specifics of the situation. For example, in most buildings, it is warmer higher up because of stratification; the same reason why liquids are sometimes warmer higher up. That's because for relatively small altitude differences, there isn't enough density change to allow for cooling due to expansion.

6. May 8, 2017 #5
    As Russ is saying, there is no a priori relationship between temperature and pressure.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted