Temperature analog of free energy

Join the discussion
Registration is free. Start your own thread to ask a follow-up.
3 replies · 2K views
Bipolarity
Messages
773
Reaction score
2
The Gibbs energy is used to determine the spontaneity of a thermodynamic process under isobaric conditions.

The Helmholtz energy is used to determine the spontaneity of a thermodynamic process under isovolumetric conditions.

I was curious: is there an energy used to determine the spontaneity of a thermodynamic process under isothermal conditions?

Thanks.

BiP
 
Physics news on Phys.org
I suggest you look up

'The Chemical Potential'

Google has lots of references.
 
Studiot said:
I suggest you look up

'The Chemical Potential'

Google has lots of references.

Isn't the chemical potential just equal to the partial molar Gibbs energy of a multi-component system? How is that related to my question?

BiP
 
Well, Gibbs energy is minimal under constant pressure AND temperature, and Helmholtz under constant volume and temperature. So, there...