Temperature & Wind Chill: Why Does It Feel Colder?

In summary: most likely the air humidity would then become an important factor as that would determine how quickly perspiration could evaporate.
Loanzac
Hi all, so when you heat something up the molecules begin to move faster. This is seen when you steam a tea kettle. So my question is when its very cold outside and there is no wind, it is much more comfortable then when there is cold wind whipping about your body. If molecules moving faster are generally more energetic, thus 'hotter' why is wind chill a 'colder' phenomenon?
Thanks

Science news on Phys.org
Temperature has to do with the Brownian motion of individual molecules, not the bulk motion of a continuous fluid like the wind.

So when it is cold and windy, the air is simply cold and the fact that it is moving means it convects heat away from you body more quickly than if it is still.

Yep, the exchange of heat is such that your body is donating energy to the passing cold wind at a much greater rate than the wind is donating energy to you as a result of friction.

rootone said:
Yep, the exchange of heat is such that your body is donating energy to the passing cold wind at a much greater rate than the wind is donating energy to you as a result of friction.
Have you ever calculated how much energy the wind friction donates to your body (for say a 20 km/hr wind) and compared it to the heat that your body donates to the wind by convection?

Chet

Chestermiller said:
Have you ever calculated how much energy the wind friction donates to your body (for say a 20 km/hr wind) and compared it to the heat that your body donates to the wind by convection?

Chet

I just did a (very) rough calculation of the viscous dissipation rate in such a wind and its tiny (as was your point, I believe), but I think the more important thing to note is that heat transfer doesn't work that way. The wind doesn't actually add heat to your body while simultaneously removing it. Heat simply moves from the hot energy sink to the cold one. Viscous dissipation into heat, even if it was significant, would still just slow down how fast heat left your body into the wind unless it was large enough to heat the air above your body surface (or outerwear surface, rather) temperature.

boneh3ad said:
I just did a (very) rough calculation of the viscous dissipation rate in such a wind and its tiny (as was your point, I believe)
Yes. That was part of my point. The other part (thanks for your help) was wondering whether it was really worth it for Rootone to introduce viscous heating in this thread at all, considering that (a) it is not important at typical wind speeds, (b) it was likely to confuse the OP, and (c) it probably serves no purpose other than the show everyone how clever the person raising the issue is.

but I think the more important thing to note is that heat transfer doesn't work that way. The wind doesn't actually add heat to your body while simultaneously removing it. Heat simply moves from the hot energy sink to the cold one. Viscous dissipation into heat, even if it was significant, would still just slow down how fast heat left your body into the wind unless it was large enough to heat the air above your body surface (or outerwear surface, rather) temperature.
Overall, the effect is as you describe it, but, conceptually, there is nothing wrong with regarding the heat transfer as the linear superposition of the viscous heating and the convective cooling (as long as the boundary conditions for each individual situation are specified appropriately).

Chet

Hmm, no I wasn't trying to be smart, it was just an afterthought that a small amount of heat might be generated by friction, but not nearly as much as heat lost through convection.
No I didn't try to calculate it, because 'wind chill' is an obvious fact.
I was wondering though about the case where the wind is hot, andit's certainly possible to have a wind at a temperature higher than body temperature.
It seems logical that in that situation there would be no wind chill, and a person might even get hotter, (although they then would sweat more as the body tried to regulate the temperature.)
Most likely the air humidity would then become an important factor as that would determine how quickly perspiration could evaporate.

rootone said:
Hmm, no I wasn't trying to be smart, it was just an afterthought that a small amount of heat might be generated by friction, but not nearly as much as heat lost through convection.
No I didn't try to calculate it, because 'wind chill' is an obvious fact.
I was wondering though about the case where the wind is hot, andit's certainly possible to have a wind at a temperature higher than body temperature.
It seems logical that in that situation there would be no wind chill, and a person might even get hotter, (although they then would sweat more as the body tried to regulate the temperature.)
Most likely the air humidity would then become an important factor as that would determine how quickly perspiration could evaporate.
Yes. You are correct that all these mechanisms play a role. This has all been modeled quantitatively by the meteorology people to derive indicies like the Temperature-Humidity index (for hot days) and the Wind-Chill Factor (for cold days).

1. What is the difference between temperature and wind chill?

The temperature refers to the measure of heat or coldness in the air, while wind chill is the perceived decrease in temperature caused by the movement of air. In other words, wind chill takes into account the combined effect of air temperature and wind speed on the human body.

2. Why does it feel colder when there is wind?

When there is wind, the air molecules move faster and carry away the heat from our bodies at a faster rate, making us feel colder. This is because the wind removes the warm air surrounding our bodies, replacing it with cooler air.

3. How is wind chill calculated?

Wind chill is calculated using a mathematical formula that takes into account the air temperature and the wind speed. The formula is based on the rate at which heat is lost from the human body under specific weather conditions.

4. Can wind chill be dangerous?

Yes, wind chill can be dangerous as it can cause the body to lose heat at a faster rate, leading to hypothermia. Wind chill can also increase the risk of frostbite as the skin and tissues can freeze at a faster rate in cold and windy conditions.

5. Is wind chill a reliable way to measure how cold it feels?

While wind chill can give us an idea of how cold it may feel outside, it is not always an accurate measure. This is because wind chill is calculated based on the average heat loss from exposed skin, which can vary from person to person. It also does not take into account other factors such as humidity and sunlight, which can affect how cold it feels.